Think I'm gonna make it an SS clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
To do the swap there are quite a few more parts needed than just the rubber nose and honeycomb bumper part. There are the headlight buckets and brackets, the inner sheet metal from the nose to the core support and more little parts than i can remember

JustinD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2011
Tiverton Rhode Island
I don't get why you guys are so against SS look a likes??? They aren't really that much different aside from the lack of chrome and a different header panel/nose cone. Not like I have an original 81 car with 20k on it, its already all cut up has an 87/88 grey dash and Buick GN seats and console. Proud of what I have???? I like SS cars always have and always will only reason I grabbed this car is because it is super clean and not rotted, I would have never went with a standard car if I could find a nice SS for reasonable money, so I have a real clean car that can be the exact car I want for alot less money, time, and aggravation. I appreciate all the kind words and I know some of you guys are Monte Carlo/Gbody fanatics but christ its an 81 Monte Carlo not a 69 Chevelle!!! I am not looking to have a "real" SS for value or to bring to car shows, I just want a nice driver that looks the way I like. I am going to changing the nose and leaving the chrome on the bottom of the car, if I absolutely can't stand the chrome it will get shipped off to the body shop and have it all removed and the window trim either painted black or replaced wit all black trim. Like I said I really appreciate all your compliments on the car but I can't see how making it look like an SS will hurt it at all??? If anything it will look cleaner and alot sharper. Let's wait til spring when its done and I post up the pics, I assure you it will look nice, I am pretty particular about my stuff it will look great.

Thank you for all the input.
Justin

JustinD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2011
Tiverton Rhode Island
Tell me this car doesn't look badass?? Looks like it might have been an LS or standard car too check out the mirrors?? This is the look I'm ultimately going for.

Attachments

• ba monte.jpg
    ba monte.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 525

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
That pic is an 83-85 SS thats why the mirrors are like that, also notice the rear bumper and taillights. Anyway I agree with you on doing what you want to the car. When I got my 83 everyone thought I was crazy for taking the black trim off and putting the chrome LS trim on. I had no idea it was an SS only thing I just liked the way it looked compared to the black. 2 years later im now reversing what I did and putting the black back on because seeing other member's cars it grew on me. I honestly dont know how you would get the lower chrome to go with the front but judging by how nice of a car you have now you'll figure it out :wink: And if you decide to sell it in the future you could just keep your old parts and throw them in with it if the buyer is anal about having an original looking base model Monte :lol:

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
JustinD said:
I don't get why you guys are so against SS look a likes???
Justin

OK, bluntly.

A clone says I AM A MORON and didn't get what I really wanted and or too cheap to spring for what I really wanted.
Now I am gonna be stupid and wreck a beautiful car instead of letting someone else enjoy it and get what I really wanted.

Proud, thats a dam nice looking car and I don't really care for Non SS's to begin with.

Cloning is as stupid as some people taking stock motors out of rare cars and updating them to newer ones!!!
It now has no value on either side.
Wrecked both ways because its a b*st*rd car!!!

IMO a aftermarket kit would say COOL more than a SS nose and be different!!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
NY87SS said:
JustinD said:
Justin

OK, bluntly.

A clone says I AM A MORON and didn't get what I really wanted and or too cheap to spring for what I really wanted.
Now I am gonna be stupid and wreck a beautiful car instead of letting someone else enjoy it and get what I really wanted.

Proud, thats a dam nice looking car and I don't really care for Non SS's to begin with.

Cloning is as stupid as some people taking stock motors out of rare cars and updating them to newer ones!!!

You act like its a permanent change to the car :wtf: If he doesnt like it or decides to sell it he could just swap his old parts back on. There is nothing rare about a base model Monte Carlo anyway no offense to the OP. Build it the way you want it man, just keep your old parts if you dont like it.

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I did the clone because I have to work with what I have--I don't mind clones unless the owner is like 'hey check out my '69 COPO camaro man its real and everything!' when actually its just a plan jane camaro

have fun with your car..if a SS nose swap is on your mind you probably want to do it. just do it and like 83SS said if you don't like it you always have your old parts you could slap back on

JustinD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2011
Tiverton Rhode Island
-83MONTESS- said:
NY87SS said:
JustinD said:
Justin

OK, bluntly.

You act like its a permanent change to the car :wtf: If he doesnt like it or decides to sell it he could just swap his old parts back on. There is nothing rare about a base model Monte Carlo anyway no offense to the OP. Build it the way you want it man, just keep your old parts if you dont like it.

Thank you!!! Moron??? Not that I am a moron and couldn't find an SS or cheaped out, just that this car is clean and has alot of what I would want in an SS car to begin with, but seeing how all the SS cars I have looked at or saw on CL are rotted bad or if not people think they are somehow worth alot more than they actually are. I'd rather use this car and alter the way I want because at the end of the day its my car and I am building it to suit me and not please anyone else. People alter cars to their liking all the time isn't that what its all about??? I also have an 01 2500hd Duramax truck that I have 03+ tail lights and 06+ tow mirrors etc. Looks neat even though it isn't correct to the year of the truck. I guess I just like what I like??? It will look awesome I assure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor