Third gen. MC dash cover, will it fit over the 86 SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I was really hoping to find a cheap third generation Monte Carlo dash nearby, but I dont see me finding a decently priced one around me at all. I know it is a stupid question, but will the third generation Monte Carlo dash cover fit over the '86 dash, or will I need a whole new dash for a conversion. I would think it wouldnt fit, being the passenger side dash vent piece is different, but would like some help as if it would or would not fit, and if it would, what wouldnt, why?

Every single part of the SS on the dash is basicly the same on the fourth generation MC, maybe different gauges, but generally the mounts should be the same. The only thing different is the center vents, and passenger vent, and there is not a large plastic piece covering the dash.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, I have searched many sites and forums, with no luck, I've searched here aswell, and I've only found pictures of the 3rd gen. in 4th gen. MC's.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Snowboi said:
I was really hoping to find a cheap third generation Monte Carlo dash nearby, but I dont see me finding a decently priced one around me at all. I know it is a stupid question, but will the third generation Monte Carlo dash cover fit over the '86 dash, or will I need a whole new dash for a conversion. I would think it wouldnt fit, being the passenger side dash vent piece is different, but would like some help as if it would or would not fit, and if it would, what wouldnt, why?

Every single part of the SS on the dash is basicly the same on the fourth generation MC, maybe different gauges, but generally the mounts should be the same. The only thing different is the center vents, and passenger vent, and there is not a large plastic piece covering the dash.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, I have searched many sites and forums, with no luck, I've searched here aswell, and I've only found pictures of the 3rd gen. in 4th gen. MC's.
When you say 3rd generation.......I am assuming you mean 78-80 Monte Carlo's........Man I loved them body styles....With those years I'm thinking they were the center speakers and not the outside corner ones....I wold love to say yes it will fit as most '78-'88 parts are interchangeable.......I checked on E-Bay a while back for a dash pad for my '84 and they are all listed as '81-'88....others listed '78-'80..That beinbg said I would say no.....I had a 79 Monte and even though the frames were all the same from 78-88 I really thing the 78-80 were a bit narrower?????? But with all that in mind....you could prolly make it work with all guages and what not from the "3rd" generation....... :?:

Snowboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Fort Walton Beach, FL
They also have some for sale where the speakers are on the outside, like the 4th generations MC's. I know the dash itself is the same length and height as the others, so the only thing that should be worried about is the passenger side vent parts. I am going to try to email more stores that sell the items, and I'll email MikesMontes, I bet he would know.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
Anything can fit if you have a sawzall.

Snowboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I messaged Mike (MikesMonte) and he said it'll fit, so I'm hopping theres no spaces or problems. I wont be using the vents, so I'll either make a guage panel or buy one from somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor