Thornton Headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i have a set of their cast iron w/z manifolds on my bbo in my 79 calais. i love them and they fit well

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is varying opinions, I say they will, BBO especially assuming 1 3/4" primaries an actual collector into a 2.5" outlet.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Have them, not installed.

The ball seems to be a little big for the Pypes DOF10S downpipe sockets, which are 2.25", however I tried a 2.5" socket and that's too big. As long as they seal is all that counts.
Thanks for this, I was planning on trying 2.25" dual exhaust reproduction down pipes all the way back to the mufflers on my 70S. I guess a little big is better than trying to fill a space. How does the quality look first hand on their headers?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have the thronton headers in my wish list for my turbo 425 crank DX block build. They should work with turbo exhaust piping great :)

Reactions: 1 user

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Thanks for this, I was planning on trying 2.25" dual exhaust reproduction down pipes all the way back to the mufflers on my 70S. I guess a little big is better than trying to fill a space. How does the quality look first hand on their headers?

Flanges are about four times thicker than the standard cheap header. Welds look like a robot TIG weld.

Mounting surface is flat, the primary tubes were welded inside the flange opening and ground smooth.

The only thing that might be a problem is that the exhaust flange bolt holes are threaded. I would prefer a nut on the backside, but that's part of replicating factory mounting. They seem to be the same thread as the to-head mounting bolts that are provided.

Plan on getting the ARP 480-1101 bolts, as noted by rogue_ryder, the heads of the bolts need to be as small as possible because the tubes make them hard to get to.

Will be a little while before they are actually installed.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor