THOSE GREAT SAGINAW WORKERS! 1985 442 PS Pump Rebuild (GM P/N 7840244)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Tools needed:
Pulley puller/installer. This can be the Kent Moore/GM tools, or a kit you can "borrow" from Auto Zone, etc.
1. Plain old 18mm impact socket for the two pump retaining bolts (or regular sockets, but you really need to put it in a vise if using a regular socket). The threads are M10 x 1.5 just for reference.
2. A 1" impact socket for the high pressure fitting
3. Small diameter punch set
4. Medium flat blade screwdriver
5. Deadblow or solid soft-faced hammer (you may need to whack stuff to get it to give up)
6. Seal remover/installer. You can buy the GM tools, or improvise to get the shaft seal out. Could be a screwdriver to remove and a socket/deadblow to tap it in. Ain't nothing but a lip seal.
7. TWO semi-large C-clamps- may be needed to hold back pump cover compressed against spring pressure to install retainer ring.

OPTIONAL:
Socket to fit main pump bore for shaft sleeve bearing. If you buy some aftermarket kits, you might get a new bearing. If you replace it, it's a split bearing and will need driving out and driving in. If you damage the end, you can use a small file to dress any damage to the end of the bearing once installed.

Parts needed:
1. Rebuild kit. GM p/n 7848522. Does NOT come with a new shaft sleeve bearing, but does come with all the seals and a new disc magnet (#25 in drawing below). This is the kit I got.
-OR-
2. Gates aftermarket rebuild kit p/n 350390. Comes with all the seals PLUS a new bearing, but no magnet that I can tell. I included this because if your shaft sleeve bearing needs replaced, there's no GM p/n for it. It's only available with a new housing (#4) unless you get one of these kits. I'm almost convinced all the Edelman and Gates, etc., kits are made by the same place, just put in a different name box or part number. Your old magnet should still be ok once cleaned up. Mine had a little bit of goo on it.

1717450749656.png

Not a big deal, but mostly, the power steering units when you finally work the pump reservoir off the pump itself (that O-ring doesn't want to give it up easily), there's a huge C-clip style retaining ring on the back pump cover, and the open section is placed somewhere around the 10-11, or 1-2 o'clock position by the factory when it was manufactured. Similar to the way the end cover is attached on the steering gear. There's a hole in the top of the pump above the ring so you can insert a small diameter punch into it to push down/out on the retainer ring. You then can take a screwdriver and get behind the end of the ring and work it out. Be kind, when replacing, put it back in a similar position so in case it ever comes apart again, it'll be easier for the next guy, if the next guy isn't you.

WELLLLLLllllll..........not this time. The gap is around the 6 o'clock position, meaning I have to jack around sliding that ring nearly half way around just to get it where the ring will come out properly. Not a deal breaker, but it's just another friggin' PITA thing about this stupid pump.

There are at least two ways to skin the cat to get the reservoir off the pump. You can remove the 1" high pressure fitting and pressure relief shuttle valve and spring, and then loosen the two 18mm bolts about 1/2 way out. An impact makes super quick work of this. Take a plastic faced hammer and you can whack the bolts while holding the reservoir. With luck, you can get the big O-ring seal to give way and the pump will loosen coming out the front. Back the bolts out as needed and keep tapping to get the pump loose.

2nd way: There's some flats on the snout of the pump you can put in the vise. DON'T CLAMP THE SHAFT!!! This is the method I used. Then, take all the bolts and fittings off the back. Use a deadblow hammer (or soft faced stout hammer) and tap around the front face of the reservoir to pop the reservoir loose. Don't go crazy, but it might be a bit stuck and take a little more than soft persuasion. Make sure to have a little catch pan underneath to catch any residual fluid, because there will be some.

1717449989823.png

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Marked up the pic of my pump to illustrate the retainer ring position.

PS Pump Guts.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Does that ring have to go back into position exactly where it was originally located or can you reclock it to somewhere easier to work with?

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Does that ring have to go back into position exactly where it was originally located or can you reclock it to somewhere easier to work with?

Nick
No, it can fit in there just about any way you want it to. But it will, get re-clocked to around 10 or 1 o'clock during reassembly. Being at 6 o'clock means I'll have to dig it out from the end with some picks or try and tap it around to get to where the punch can push it down and out a little to get a screwdriver behind it. Should be able to get it just laying on the bench but I'll probably have to chuck it in the vise again. Just a PITA is all since there's some spring pressure making it more of a job than it needs to be.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Either end of the retaining ring should be about 3/4 to 1" past the hole so you can push the end of the ring out of the groove to facilitate removal.
PS Pump Retaining ring.png

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Either end of the retaining ring should be about 3/4 to 1" past the hole so you can push the end of the ring out of the groove to facilitate removal.
View attachment 240336
Exactly what I expected to find, but yet...some dude at Saginaw mucked up that day. At least it's in there, but still. Ain't making my day any easier. There's no "law" that says the gap has to be located near the hole, but it would have made disassembly a whole lot better.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Yea the part made on monday or friday when the worker was in a FU mood.
15443996-682996909.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Another thing that makes you say hmmm. No great mystery and I'm not going to chase this rabbit down the hole, but...

Inspecting the original factory cap, I've concluded that it will be simply cleaned and re-used. It's nearly perfect as is. Rubber seal is intact and very pliable, I believe it to be EDPM as it's hardly got any visible scuffs where it meets the fill tube on it and it has sealed well.

So I decided to not replace it with an NOS one. Just as reference, the replacement GM p/n for the 83-88 pump is GM p/n 7834183, which superseded 7803820, a mainstay for many years. I'd have to find and dig them out anyway so this saves me the trouble.

Now, far be it from me to second-guess GM, but it SEEMS there may be two versions of the 7834183 cap/dipstick if it indeed wholesale replaced the 820. I can tell you this, the version they used for production, was the "naked" version without the splash shield. Never seen one on a production G-body. Yet most all the new GM 183 replacement caps I've seen from GM parts are with a splash shield. I have seen a few without. Not a huge deal, but was simply trying to figure on how they were thinking. Sometimes they find "improvements" along the way and make changes to engineering specs. This happens ALL THE TIME. So while not unusual, I've just never seen the superseded caps without the rubber splash shield.

I think 1988SS asked about this before. I seem to recall something about this, but didn't give it much thought then. I kinda don't now but it somehow floated to the top of my head this morning.

As I've speculated before, it may have been a warranty "fix" for those weak ones that didn't seal well. Someone comes in complaining of leaking cap and they swapped it out with the shielded version. I dunno. I just don't ever recall a G-body I've ever owned with the splash shield. The 820s did not have splash shields to my knowledge. I think my 2010 GMC had a splash shield. Can't recall specifically, but one of the newer cars we had did have the rubber shield. Not sure how they attached, but I'm guessing you could probably yank it off if you didn't like it.

820, no shield:
1717498879983.png

183, with shield:
1717498823465.png

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, the relief cut into the outer edge of the circlip groove did not commend itself to my attention when I checked the pictures out.
What did come to mind was a version of the circlip where the ends are drilled so that a pair of circlip pliers can be used to extract the clip. Any good hydraulics supply shop ought to have them as a generic based on the diameter and thickness; I get the ones I need from Wajax Industries locally.

Nick

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, and that's why it's a PITA to get out if it's clocked where you can't easily push the end of the ring via the hole. Like I said, it's just like the steering gear cap. Only d-bags put the gap down. :) It would be nice to have pin holes for internal snap ring pliers to grab onto.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor