tilt steering column repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Is there a way to remove the 2 pivot pins from the tilt steering column without the special tool required?

Yes, I've done it with a threaded screw (to fit the threaded holes in the pivot pins) and drove them out with a slide hammer. Worked Like a charm.
I believe I've seen the tool in Pep Boys a few years ago. I think it was made by Lisle if my memory serves me correctly. They are fairly inexpensive.

Jack

Longroof79 said:
Yes, I've done it with a threaded screw (to fit the threaded holes in the pivot pins) and drove them out with a slide hammer. Worked Like a charm.
I believe I've seen the tool in Pep Boys a few years ago. I think it was made by Lisle if my memory serves me correctly. They are fairly inexpensive.

Jack

Same here, used a screw too cheap to buy a tool im going to use once.. If your fixing "floppy" steering wheel use some loctite on the 4 bolts to prevent it from coming loose again. Even though one is hard to get at i fought mine and got it kind of tight.

Go on the matco tools web site and look up a pivot pin remover thats where i got mine 10 years ago. Lifetime warrenty and i had mine replaced last week. i want to say 15.00

If you have a Canadian Tire near you, they loan out tools, like this.

O.K. i found the tool online and ordered 2 of them! They were only $2.99 each So my other question is: What grease do i use to grease up the parts before i put it back together? The grease that the factory used is very thick and sticky and is yellowish in color, what grease would be compatible to this factory grease?

Hmm, good question. I've never re-greased anything, it always seemed like there was more than enough to go around. If anything, it seems similar to the grease used to lube speedometer cables, but I bet white lithium grease would work in a pinch. Shouldn't need to add much.

great! thanks for the advice guys, i just wanted to make sure i use the right stuff but there is still some grease on there from 1984! so i will probably just add a little more to it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor