Tilt Steering is loose.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aity6MonteCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2008
The tilt steering in my '86 Monte Carlo LS is getting really loose. I can lift the steering wheel up about three or four inches, and it is beginning to effect shifting from from park to drive. Any ideas, besides replacing the whole thing?

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
http://www.buickperformance.com/tiltste ... wobble.htm Someone posted this link the other night for fixing a loose column . Sometimes the bearings come apart and all the balls come out . Several things can cause them to do this . Doesnt take too many specialty tools to work on them , but it does take patience . Autozone usually has tools you can borrow or buy to do this with . Take some pics if you can , will aid in putting it back together . I have rebuilt several over the years , alot of bushing and bearing replacements . biggest thing is paying attention to where everything goes . Take your time , most all of them are repairable . Hope this helps

toner283

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2008
Durham, Ontario, Canada
there are 4 bolts that hold the aluminum tilt "base" to the main column body tube. these 4 bolts work their way loose after many miles & many tilts.
they are an easy fix but there is a lot of disassembly to get to them. if you have never had a GM column apart before, take pictures as you take it apart - there are a LOT of little pieces & if they are not back together in the right order the column will not work right. I have fixed several of these & it will take a couple of hours to take it apart & put it back together again if you have not done it before.
while it can be done with out special tools it is easier if you have a puller to remove the wheel (a harmonic balancer puller works good) and a lock plate removal tool. the lock plate is tough to get off without the right tool. most automotive supply stores should have one is stock, the lock plate has been the same in GM columns for 30 years + (since about 69). i bought mine for about $20. it also helps to have the puller for the tilt pivot pins (about another $10).
when you have it apart Loctite the 4 bolts so they will not come loose again. If you get good at it you can make a little money fixing the loose ones in your area. the same column design is in all GM vehicles up to the late 80's/early 90's.
If you get it apart & need any advice or have any questions just ask, i will help as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor