MONTE CARLO Tire Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Wow those are fugly. Ever hear of a torque wrench? Look at the twist in the the serrations or knurle.
Ok, what a great educational moment. Torque spec is considered "tight". Those are an example of "fooking tight". Don't bother looking it up, its an industry term.

Reactions: 1 users

chuckfenn1

Greasemonkey
Oct 16, 2020
Wow those are fugly. Ever hear of a torque wrench? Look at the twist in the the serrations or knurle.
Ok, what a great educational moment. Torque spec is considered "tight". Those are an example of "fooking tight". Don't bother looking it up, its an industry term.
lol the tires was mounted by a tire shop so may they over tightened them..lol..done now though

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Last post has it right. You should see about half a stud’s diameter of threads (about three threads in our case) sticking out past the lug nut for safety.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Completed in about 35 minutes
WOW!! Those look seriously cross threaded, or like someone forced a metric nut onto a standard thread. I hope you did all five. You might consider checking the other three wheels for their stud condition.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
WOW!! Those look seriously cross threaded, or like someone forced a metric nut onto a standard thread. I hope you did all five. You might consider checking the other three wheels for their stud condition.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^ I wouldnt even drive the car unless I checked every stud and lug nut. If every stud on one hub looks like that Im sure the other 15 look similar.
The other big question and VERY important...what thread stud did you just install ? Theres metric and SAE for G body cars. I think 81 and newer are metric. 5spdCab might be on to something. SAE nuts on a metric stud.
Another thing you need to make sure is right is the shank on the nut being the right length for the rim and studs you have on the car. I lost a nut on my Monte when I had a set of Weld wheels on it. Stud wasnt long enough for the thickness of the rim. I switched them out for longer and used open end nuts after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor