TPI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
I just got a recomondation from a friend to swap my carb setup for TPI. I just wanted to know, aside from the intake, plenum, throttle body and what not, what else would i need? Also, what are some of your opinions on TPI vs carburation? Thanks in advance.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I'm in the same boat. U get better throttle response and economy. The difficulty does not look that hard though i've heard egr block off and 58mm throttle is a must to get max horse power.

biff85ta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
TPI is fine but you will not make any power above 4500 RPM it just won't breathe. If I really wanted to swap to a fuel injection setup I would probably go Holley stealth ram so that the motor could breathe up top plus it comes with a better ECU setup.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
yeah your right about that, they make good torque but not much HP up top. Im really only considering converting to TPI because it's cheap, and i dont know of any other fuel injection kits that can be had for anywhere near the price.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
How much engine are you planning on running? I ask becuase your sig suggests 12s, not easy on a factory TPI setup. If your engine is stock for the most part then yes TPI is great. I swapped TPI onto my 1988 SS two years ago on top of the stock 305 and it made a huge difference in driveabilty, I was very impressed. I then upgraded to the SLP runners and cold air intake and airfoil. Since I am planning on upgrading to a mild 350 this winter I will be adding the Holley Stealth Ram and selling my current setup. Just isn't financially a good idea to keep upgrading the TPI setup.

Randy

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
Motor wise I plan on keeping it about 355ci, and buying some heads that will bump up my compression alittle bit (9.5-10:1) and flow alot better. Together with a decent rear-end, and maybe drag radials. But to tell you the truth, I hadn't thought about how TPI would effect my ET's with it's lackluster top end performance. I probably need to make up my mind on just what role this car will play, or when im "ever" going to get it runnung!

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
D's350GP said:
Motor wise I plan on keeping it about 355ci, and buying some heads that will bump up my compression alittle bit (9.5-10:1) and flow alot better. Together with a decent rear-end, and maybe drag radials. But to tell you the truth, I hadn't thought about how TPI would effect my ET's with it's lackluster top end performance. I probably need to make up my mind on just what role this car will play, or when im "ever" going to get it runnung!
With a setup like that I'd go with at carb. It's a lot easier, and you won't sacrifice your top end. If you build up a 355 you'll want a good 5500 RPM powerband at least! I'd spend the money on heads and not worry about TPI :D

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
In the next year or two i want to run a 400sbc and i've seen the twin turbo system on it and that has always been in my dream for the 400. also the T56 setup. With the TT system I don't think I'll have a problem getting it to breath. plus how many of us need that power up to 5500 rpm. That is a bit higher than what i like to push my motor.... maybe 4000 to 4500. that's just me though.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
stock TPI f bodys shifted at 600, and so do the new chevy LS series motors, so whats wrong with 5500?

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
nothing really if the motor is built right. but then again when going for a joy ride it is nice to have power through the whole rpm range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor