transmission Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyinks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
PA
My 1983 Monte was ordered by the original owner with posi. Does any one know possibly what transmission I may have and rearend? I wasn't sure if there was a stock posi rear and transmission combo for that year from the factory or not. I figured with the knowledge base from this site someone would know. I do know it's either a th350 or th250 but don't know how to tell the difference, pans are the same. help me please.

I have the super-awesome :shock: 250-C in my '83 Malibu wagon, and also got one in my '84 El Camino.

If you slide under the car on the passenger side, look up up above the modulator and you should see what looks like a threaded stud stocking out the the transmission. This is the adjustment for the second gear band. If you have this, you have a 250.

A 350 may have a cast-in boss for the stud, but will not be drilled out. I would bet that you have a 250.

The rearend will be the 7.5" 10-bolt.

most likely a th350 transmission and a 7.625" 10 bolt,the monte rears happen to be 28 spline,instead of the other 10 bolts in g's that are 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor