Trim packages

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
B84 says your car came from the factory with side moldings. It also shows 11Q, which says those moldings were white in color.

The biggest problem is actually FINDING the trim. It's a bit of a weird size, and although I've tried, I have failed to find out who originally manufactured it. The only thing I can find for certain is they used 3M molding tape to hold it on and made in Canada. After many years, I'm sure the adhesive affects the paint so when removed, they'll leave etched scars, or ghost marks where you may can see where they were applied on the original paint.

JMO- on your car, I think the smooth look does your car justice. Simply due to the fact that it's solid color all the way to the bottom of the rockers. Not sure if you can buff out the remaining ghosts for the trim, though should you decide not to put them back on.

Here's a couple pics of some NOS gunmetal gray ones.

G47 Gray Body Side Moldings 2.jpg

G47 Gray Body Side Moldings Back 1.jpg

To have or not is a personal choice. Some people love the smooth look of the sides. Others like a bit of extra trim to give it more of a big car, luxury liner appeal. Or whatever your reason. I can go either way.

There's a few vinyl trims out there that are considered "close". But none are exact matches that I've been able to find.

Check out this thread from 2022. It pretty much covers some of what's going on here.

Reactions: 3 users

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
B84 says your car came from the factory with side moldings. It also shows 11Q, which says those moldings were white in color.

The biggest problem is actually FINDING the trim. It's a bit of a weird size, and although I've tried, I have failed to find out who originally manufactured it. The only thing I can find for certain is they used 3M molding tape to hold it on and made in Canada. After many years, I'm sure the adhesive affects the paint so when removed, they'll leave etched scars, or ghost marks where you may can see where they were applied on the original paint.

JMO- on your car, I think the smooth look does your car justice. Simply due to the fact that it's solid color all the way to the bottom of the rockers. Not sure if you can buff out the remaining ghosts for the trim, though should you decide not to put them back on.

Here's a couple pics of some NOS gunmetal gray ones.

View attachment 240425

View attachment 240426

To have or not is a personal choice. Some people love the smooth look of the sides. Others like a bit of extra trim to give it more of a big car, luxury liner appeal. Or whatever your reason. I can go either way.

There's a few vinyl trims out there that are considered "close". But none are exact matches that I've been able to find.

Check out this thread from 2022. It pretty much covers some of what's going on here.

Thanks for the detailed reply! The trim marks are gone as the original owner had the car repainted white at some point. There are some tell tail signs of it. Thus nothing to buff off. The only sign I think I see...is it appears whomever removed the trim didn't take their time and did the good old grab and yank maneuver, as I can ever so slightly see waves down the door right where the trim should be. Love all the info..thank you again!

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor