Trimming a valve cover gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappnutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2018
So i'm having a debate if i should attempt this or if its even a good idea. 350 sbc with vortec heads, center bolt covers. I have to run a double thick gasket for clearance. Old one was leaking bought a new set of felpro dbl with metal gasket in the middle. Here is my dilemma, its a little to snug to fit in the valley without trimming the inside corners a bit. I'm thinking a dremel with a sanding wheel to shave off a little bit to make it fit properly. Anyone have experience with this? i searched the forum and google with not a lot of luck.

Are you using the Vortec specific valve covers and gaskets or the pre Votec centerbolt style valve covers and gaskets?

something similar to this. not the greatest but they do the trick.
valvecovers.jpg

The rockers fit fine. It’s the actual cork gasket that doesn’t fit in the valley.

Attachments

• F85B9E84-3BE5-4EF9-944A-81896609326E.jpeg
    F85B9E84-3BE5-4EF9-944A-81896609326E.jpeg
    673.9 KB · Views: 73
I would use an Exacto knife and a cutting mat or flat piece of wood. Use an ultra-fine Sharpie marker to draw the line, then the Exacto knife to cut gradually deeper and deeper until done.

That’s kinda what I was thinking but it has a metal gasket sandwiched between the cork. That’s why I was thinking a dremel.

Personally I would run the blue rubber gaskets that the valve covers come with originally. JMO

Reactions: 1 users
If you cut the cork gasket you will expose the shim core which can allow oil inside the gasket and eventually cause leaks. I guess you can seal the cut corners with RTV. I have not seen SBC valve cover gaskets with such thick corners. Generally, I use steel core rubber valve cover gaskets instead of cork.

Reactions: 1 user
I only use steel core rubber valve cover gaskets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor