Trinary Switch for Fan Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Has anyone installed a trinary switch on accumulator to control low press cut-out, high pressure cut-out and electric fan on? I am looking into trying this route with my setup and wondering if anyone has any insight.

like this setup: https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/11086-VUS.pdf

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Has anyone installed a trinary switch on accumulator to control low press cut-out, high pressure cut-out and electric fan on? I am looking into trying this route with my setup and wondering if anyone has any insight.

like this setup: https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/11086-VUS.pdf
We put Vintage Air in my brother's 78 Z28. We upgraded to the trinary switch so the second electric cooling fan would be triggered by it when the pressure on the high side reached a certain threshold regardless of what temperature the radiator is. The dryer on a Vintage Air system is on the high side. I don't think the Vintage Air switch will mount to the Accumulator on our cars, and the Accumulator is on the low side. You would need to mount that switch somewhere on the high side. You could get the fittings from Vintage Air and make a custom hose with a place for that switch. Give them a call. They are nice folks. Very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
We put Vintage Air in my brother's 78 Z28. We upgraded to the trinary switch so the second electric cooling fan would be triggered by it when the pressure on the high side reached a certain threshold regardless of what temperature the radiator is. The dryer on a Vintage Air system is on the high side. I don't think the Vintage Air switch will mount to the Accumulator on our cars, and the Accumulator is on the low side. You would need to mount that switch somewhere on the high side. You could get the fittings from Vintage Air and make a custom hose with a place for that switch. Give them a call. They are nice folks. Very helpful.
I was asking them and they were unsure. the new compressor I have with serpentine setup has port for factory high pressure switch. maybe i can make it work

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I had a better experience than that. I wish I could remember what threads that switch uses, but its been for or more years and to be honest, I didn't look that hard at it. Maybe you could use the factory switch for your compressor? Which compressor are you using?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I had a better experience than that. I wish I could remember what threads that switch uses, but its been for or more years and to be honest, I didn't look that hard at it. Maybe you could use the factory switch for your compressor? Which compressor are you using?
its the gm performance setup so I believe it is from 92 camaro. i looked on website n threads are 3/8-24 but vintage air rep told me 7/8-24. so we shall see when it gets here

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
7/8" - 24? Sounds huge! Not what I remember but who knows? Let us know how it shapes up.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
well got the switch today and it will not work for my application. debating on getting high pressure cutoff for camaro but the low pressure cutoff on camaro was inline. cycling switch was in accumulator just like ours. think im just gonna tie into cycling switch with relay as I did before

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor