Trying to get 1978-80 301 mounts for Grand Prix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYoung43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2010
I have a 1987 GP with t-tops that I have a 1977 400 engine I want to install. All I need to get me started are the motor mounts from a 78-81 GP that had a 301. Do any of you guys have a pair laying around to sell? I tried the firebird steel block mounts and they won't "find holes" in the frame anywhere. I do have new rubber frame mounts that are correct for a 78-81 301 GP, so I know I'm only off by the block side engine mounts. I'm new to the board, so if there is a link to someone who sells them by the dozen and I missed it, please forgive me........ If anyone has pictures of the motor mount area of one of theses cars, or pics of the mount themselves, I'd realy like to at least see them.

Thanks,

Brad

Why not just make new frame holes? My 83' Bonnewagon had the 301 mount holes right where they belong, but I had a 400 in a Malibu and they weren't even close. I installed the block on the mounts and sprayed white paint at where they met the frame. Then I pulled the block out and the outline/holes were right there in white so I just drilled new holes. Tack welding the mounts to the frame, pulling block, then drilling holes will work too. The 83' probably was close enough to 81' (last year for Pontiac V-8) but 87' is probably too far off, as was the Chevy frame. It's been a while, but I found frame mounts and perches at a local parts store.

The main reason I would like originals is so that the engine sits low. I have Torker 1 single plane I would like to use. With the TA mounts and rubber mounts all bolted to the block, there is still 2 plus inches between the oil pan and the cross member. I would like to get it lower because I'm trying to keep 500HP under the hood and out to the rear bumper 🙂

Brad

Yes, I saw that with 76' LeMans mounts. Way too high. I think Shotgun has some, maybe he'll chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor