turbo dist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
is there a differance between a turbo 3.8 distributor and a non-turbo 3.8 distributor?? would it be a serious problem to turbo a 4.1 with the stock distributor, or should i use a turbo dist., i would really like to use a aftermarket dist, but there's a lakc of funds for that. your help is appreciated.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
EFI Turbo 3.8 has no distributor. It's GM's first foray into distributorless ignition systems. Earlier carb'd turbo V6's had distributors, but worlds of problems with engine management that make them useless in anything more than a stock collector car. Also, FWD 3.8 is worlds different from the RWD 3.8.

( Note: GM was the world's first company to offer a turbocharged production car- in 1962! The Corvair Monza Spyder and the Oldsmobile Jetfire. One has a flat 6, the other an aluminum 215ci V8 )

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
yea, gm was the first to turbo charge a production car. though the turbo were not the best in the world, it was a major leap in technology. GM in the early 60's did a very good job of producing motor's and technology above and beyond what was needed. the Olds 215 was even all aluminum, block and heads. that was amazing. and considering that rover used it into the 70's stands to show how well the engine was engineered.

All im interested in is if the 2 motor's have the same bellhousing. i know the dist make's it longer. i kow they have different front assembelie's. and for that matter it is wider then the 3.0 in the car right now. but they are the same family of motor, i don't mean newer evelution(sorry can't spell) of either. so i might need to trim a little to get it to fit, and probaly have to convert the FWD pulley's onto the RWD block. no big deal. i have time, not money. BTW will a regular dist. work or do i have to rig up a electronic ignition??

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
better one's exist

like megasquirt, it's like 250, though you do need a computer, but im on the net, i have on of those

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Umm... Rover used the 215 until sometime in the last 5 years. Remember: this is the company that produced the original Mini with the same engine and only minor changes from 1959 until 1999. The FWD 3800 will not bolt in to a RWD app or vice versa. If you want a performance version of this engine, why not get the factory supercharged variant used in the Bonneville SSEi, Riviera, Park Avenue Ultra, Wimpala SS, etc. Megasquirt kits are below $200 for the most basic ones, but they are solder your own. BTW, GM was also the first us manufacturer to use a DOHC EFI four cylinder too, in the 75-76 Cosworth Vega. Unfortunately, GM has done little since then in the way of technological innovations. They have been gun shy ever since Nader sued the pants off of them over the swing axle design of the 1st gen Corvair (and the front engine-rear transaxle Tempest), a design they changed in 64 or 65 when the 2nd gen Corvair debuted with a Corvette style Full IRS. GM also went to a conventional live axle in their intermediates in 1964 to replace the unorthodox Tempest/F-85.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
really??

you mean the bellhousing is different? i got info that say that they are the same, though that's not as reliable as this forum. the 3.0 in the car right now is a short deck 3.8. other then the intake and crank everything else should be the same, except minor change's, the bellhousing might be one of those. i dont really car about computer's matching or not. the megasquirt is awsome, and it's a great deal, it run's under 250 for a complete standalone, that's a soder yourself kit, but still. i found complete, ready to run unit's for 350-425, great deal.
the 215 is a great motor. i found a way to build close to 5.0 L 215 based motor, use later buick 300 heads, they have bigger valve's. i was thinking about putting a 215 in my 87 supra, then putting ITB's on it and making it fuel injected. it's at least as light as the six that came out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor