tv cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Ok after thinking I have adjusted my TV cable correctly, after doing some more research now I'm starting to think I didn't. So heres the situation, I am using the stock tv cable bracket from an original quadrajet, 305 car. Now I have a 350 preformer manifold and a Holley. I have the correct geometry corrector as well.

btw I have not driven the car because I do not want to cause any damage to my transmission I just want to make sure its in the ball park before I even try.

So the way everyone recommends, by moving the slider tab towards the firewall then depressing the pedal to full throttle so it would adjust itself.

But im having a hard time understanding how this would work. When moving the slider tab back towards the firewall is the cable being shortened or legthened? (been searching for this answer for hours)

So If its legthened (like a lot of articles make it seem) how would this adjust your tv cable if at full throttle your barely getting any pull on the cable its self?

it would make sense to me that it should be shortened then by going to full throttle the length of the cable would adjust itself (which is how I adjusted it) is this right?

If it is, does that mean that when adjusting your tv cable, your basically adjusting the tv cable so that at full throttle the cable is also at max travel? And then fine tune from there

thanks just need some clarification maybe im over thinking it

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
Good luck, I'll be watching this post. Be setting up mine sometime this winter. Let us know what you find out.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I lost you once or twice but that's just because I'm tired I think.
Basically, you push the slider in, you open the throttle all the way up, you may hear some clicks, and the cable will have adjusted itself to where it needs to be. As long as you have the geometry corrector on correctly (which I know is easy to do since I have one) then you should be fine.
I don't know exactly what happens to the cable and I need a nap too bad to concentrate on figuring it out right now but I can say that I have adjusted that cable multiple times and I've driven it while adjusted incorrectly. You'll notice something's up without a doubt if something is wrong, but it really is simple to adjust. The cable basically does it itself every time. Since it adjusts itself, you can't really push the slider in too far because the throttle will just pull it right back out again when you open the throttle all the way. If you have the slider out too far (meaning past the point where the carb's throttle bracket could possibly pull it too by itself) then you'll notice this:
At partial throttle: shifts way too late and way too hard.
At full throttle: Almost instantly shifts into OD.

richp85elco said:
Ok after thinking I have adjusted my TV cable correctly, after doing some more research now I'm starting to think I didn't. So heres the situation, I am using the stock tv cable bracket from an original quadrajet, 305 car. Now I have a 350 preformer manifold and a Holley. I have the correct geometry corrector as well.
Ooohhh. So you're using the stock q-jet throttle/trans cable bracket? Yea I tried that. Had to modify it. Eventually ditched it. I had to cut my trans cable to a shorter length to do that. :blam: You might wanna buy a new throttle/trans cable bracket. When my dad and I were messing with the q-jet bracket we forgot that we had an adjustable universal bracket laying around the garage. Didn't find it until after I cut my cable. :blam: :blam:

richp85elco said:
I guess i'm just asking is the goal to set TV cable at max travel when the your at full throttle?
Yea.
PS: when I started typing this no one had answered you yet. God I'm slow.. lol

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Also I could probably just find a pic of my own setup to show you what i mean.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
lol thanks 307 regal. i thought I was going to have to get the bracket too because it was looking like the cable was going to be too long...but now that I got this answer I did adjust it right and the cable works for me at its shortest position so ill try it out for awhile then get another one when im not soo broke. lol

Wile E said:
Good luck, I'll be watching this post. Be setting up mine sometime this winter. Let us know what you find out.

Oh man finally i got the answer i was looking for I read the tvmadeez article link you posted before but never the 2nd, so I just did

"#5. The final step is to adjust the throttle valve cable. The cable must be adjusted so it is pulled fully out at wide-open throttle. To make sure disconnect the cable, hold the throttle wide open with your left hand, pull the cable fully out with your right hand and see if the cable end lines up with the button on the throttle lever. The cable should also be pulled out 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch at idle."

:banana: thanks man i've been searching for days

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
richp85elco said:
hold the throttle wide open with your left hand, pull the cable fully out with your right hand and see if the cable end lines up with the button on the throttle lever. The cable should also be pulled out 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch at idle."

:banana: thanks man i've been searching for days

Man that woulda been nice to know when I was doing it. haha
Good info, Wile E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor