two air cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
This feels like a dumb question but - see below. There's an 'inner air cleaner' glued into my housing, and an outer removable one. Is this normal? I don't see any reference to the inner one in the service manual.

IMG_20220902_213931.jpg

IMG_20220902_213939.jpg

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
The inner one is a flame arrestor. In case of a backfire.

Reactions: 3 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Much easier to find info in the forum when you know what you're looking for. Flame arrestor... several posts about them. I had no idea. Thanks!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It will do that. It's also a weak emission deal found on some cars. When the car is shut off, the carbon inside is supposed to "absorb" the fuel vapors emitting out of the carb. Olds VIN 9 had these as well.

It's non-serviceable, so no replacement part for it. GM provided no way to change it out except to replace it with a new air cleaner. It was sealed onto the base by some sort of tough-azz glue. They're usually damaged when removed.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
It will do that. It's also a weak emission deal found on some cars. When the car is shut off, the carbon inside is supposed to "absorb" the fuel vapors emitting out of the carb. Olds VIN 9 had these as well.

It's non-serviceable, so no replacement part for it. GM provided no way to change it out except to replace it with a new air cleaner. It was sealed onto the base by some sort of tough-azz glue. They're usually damaged when removed.
Thank you for clearing my foggy memory. Yes, it does that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor