UCA shims came out while driving

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Took a right turn at "fun" speed on my way to work. Heard a clank and a jingling sound. Then a clunk from the passenger side when I stoped. Popped the hood and found alignment shims all over the place. UCAs and alignment done about 18 months ago with a few thousand miles on them. I checked the torque after installing the UCAs, but never checked it again after the alignment. Be careful out there!

Attachments

• tempImage7GXI2U.png
    tempImage7GXI2U.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 45
  • tempImageXdfCTT.png
    tempImageXdfCTT.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 46
  • tempImageLbjLFI.png
    tempImageLbjLFI.png
    13 MB · Views: 45
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It’s an old car - it’s tough.

Looks like it’s time for another alignment.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Glad it wasn't worse. When I put tubulars on mine, I had to use a stack of shims. I ended up making solid spacers, then fine tuning it with shims, I wasn't comfortable with the amount of slotted shims I needed to get my alignment where it needed to be.

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Good gracious that's a butt load of shims! Is that how they make the tubular arm lengths with so much positive camber like that? Never used the tubulars but that just seems weird to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Glad it wasn't worse. When I put tubulars on mine, I had to use a stack of shims. I ended up making solid spacers, then fine tuning it with shims, I wasn't comfortable with the amount of slotted shims I needed to get my alignment where it needed to be.

What'd you use? Folks seem proud of their fabricated solutions online.

Good gracious that's a butt load of shims! Is that how they make the tubular arm lengths with so much positive camber like that? Never used the tubulars but that just seems weird to me.

That's what my stack looks like, just to get some semblance of negative camber.

PXL_20230919_221829802.jpg
PXL_20230919_221817213.jpg

• Wow

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interesting. I understand that sometimes more positive camber is desired, but I guess as long as the proper torque it maintained, it works.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting. I understand that sometimes more positive camber is desired

NEVER on a street car should one desire the slightest iota of positive camber. There are far more effective ways to induce understeer that don't destroy tires. I just wonder why they make the arms this way? Unless it's for the roundy round crowd who'd want some on the inner tire?

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
What did you make your spacers out of? I was thinking about that last night on the way home.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor