UMI Lower Control Arm Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
So I have the Hotchkis upper A arms to use with the GM B-Body spindles to get the 12" rotor upgrade. With that said, I've been looking at the UMI lower control arms. They come in regular ball joint and 1/2" taller which "improve spindle height, lower center of gravity and reduce bump steer"

Here's the question. Can the 1/2" taller ball joint lower arm be used with the B-Body 12" rotor conversion?

I have the BAER adjustable bump steer tie rod ends, as I've been told that the B-Body spindles throw off the tie rod end angle. I'm wondering if the 1/2" taller ball joints would help with that.

Hutch

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you want the tie rod angle to be the same as the angle of the lower control arm. If the adjustable tie rod can't adjust enough for the 1/2" taller ball joint you can always heat up the steering arm to bend it down a bit to get your angle.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
So I have the Hotchkis upper A arms to use with the GM B-Body spindles to get the 12" rotor upgrade. With that said, I've been looking at the UMI lower control arms. They come in regular ball joint and 1/2" taller which "improve spindle height, lower center of gravity and reduce bump steer"

Here's the question. Can the 1/2" taller ball joint lower arm be used with the B-Body 12" rotor conversion?

I have the BAER adjustable bump steer tie rod ends, as I've been told that the B-Body spindles throw off the tie rod end angle. I'm wondering if the 1/2" taller ball joints would help with that.

Hutch
Good morning.

The UMI lower arm has the G body tall ball joint in exact factory location. So, if your B-body spindles accommodate a G-Body lower ball joint you should be a-ok.

Bump steer is a highly variable problem and solution but with the Baer Trackers (and then in a few weeks, the UMI version) you should be good to adjust...

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Another advantage of using UMI lower control arms with a 1/2" tall ball joint is the design of the UMI lower control arm. With stock ball joints the lip on the stock lower control arm rides in the void of the rotor above the the rotor surface for the brake pads. If you use 1/2" tall lower ball joints on a stock lower control arm you have to remove the lip or that lip will grind a nice groove into the face of the rotor and bind your steering. The UMI lower control arm will not touch the rotor no matter what ball joint you use

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor