Under coating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Ahh I didn't even know it's a two wheel drive, I've had a few 2wd trucks I've got one right now I just feel silly driving an F250 and it's not even 4wd... It's like acting like it's all big and bad but some wet grass can stop it in its tracks. :lol: I prefer the standard cab though, much better visibility all the extended cabs I've driven over the years have really huge blind spots.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I used rustbullet on my frame. Worked really well. I like it better than por-15.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
Thanks Andrew. Seems like I remember your name from 10th years ago on an olds gbody mailing list.

When you put on the rustbullet what kind of prep did it take? Seems like lot 15 wanted you to clean dirt/oil but leave the rust?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
all4gss said:
Thanks Andrew. Seems like I remember your name from 10th years ago on an olds gbody mailing list.

When you put on the rustbullet what kind of prep did it take? Seems like lot 15 wanted you to clean dirt/oil but leave the rust?

If I remember correctly, rustbullet doesn't require the pretreatment like POR did but I still used some of the "Metal-Ready" coating anyway.

But essentially I just sanded the entire frame with 80 grit paper on my DA sander. Wiped it down good and then sprayed it with the Metal Ready stuff.

After that I put a coat of the Rustbullet on and let it dry per the instructions. Came back a day or so later and hit the entire frame with a red scotch-brite pad, cleaned the residue and put another coat of Rustbullet. I did this a total of 3 times for a total of 3 coats. You probably don't need that many but I just kept putting on coats until the can was gone since I wasn't using it on anything else.

The upside to Rustbullet is that it's UV stable and doesn't need to be top coated. However the downside is that it only comes in silver so unless you want your frame to be silver, you'll be top coating it anyway. Again I just scuffed the surface with scotch-brite, took a tack cloth to it to clean up the sanding residue and then thinned down some Rustoleum semi-gloss black and shot it with a cheap Grizzly paint gun. The finish came out super smooth and looked much better than if I had just used a spray can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor