Under hood cleanup and wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
so being the pollocks we are, we pulled the engine and trans out of our 442 and now have a dingy mess with wires everywhere. i have a decent feel for what wires go where and whats useful and not useful (i labeled everything and took pictures along the way) my question is we have the huge harness that comes out by the AC box and dont know what to do with it, we dont want to just start arbitrarily cutting out things. how does everyone else hide the harness? as far as cleaning, i'm thinking a power washer and simple green like we did on my car, seem fair? pictures can be provided if need be.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
First off, what is the plan? You sticking the 307 back in or going another route?

That will determine what you need to do. On mine I pulled the computer and the whole wiring harness for the CCC system from the passenger side under the ac box. I then sorted all the wires in the wiring harnesses, cleaned everything.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
hunter_alexander said:
First off, what is the plan? You sticking the 307 back in or going another route?

That will determine what you need to do. On mine I pulled the computer and the whole wiring harness for the CCC system from the passenger side under the ac box. I then sorted all the wires in the wiring harnesses, cleaned everything.

I take it you removed the fender to do this, right? I have the same scenario and I am on the fence about pulling the fender off. I also see two sets of wires on the passenger side. one is for the ccc but the other seems to be for the ac/heating system...idk. Help!

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
lol well if you go to my website, you will see I did a bit more than pull the fender... but yes. First figure out the definite plan you have for the car, (engine, on the computer or not, etc), then go forward doing it the correct way instead of hacking it apart.

You will be happier overall in the end if you do it that way. Too many times I see a 442 or H/O that the buyer wanted to "make faster" and just cut wires, yank the a/c and throw a 350 chevy or olds in it with a chrome air cleaner on it thinking its the cats *ss, when really it looks like *ss of a dead cat.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
hunter_alexander said:
lol well if you go to my website, you will see I did a bit more than pull the fender... but yes. First figure out the definite plan you have for the car, (engine, on the computer or not, etc), then go forward doing it the correct way instead of hacking it apart.

You will be happier overall in the end if you do it that way. Too many times I see a 442 or H/O that the buyer wanted to "make faster" and just cut wires, yank the a/c and throw a 350 chevy or olds in it with a chrome air cleaner on it thinking its the cats *ss, when really it looks like *ss of a dead cat.

Just a frame off....no biggie...lol. J/K Nice work! I wish my build had only taken 20 months! And Im not doin a frame off!!... Sometimes I get the urge to....but I know better..lol. I will someday, cause Im never gonna sell it unless somebody offers me more money than its ever gonna be worth and I know that wont happen...lol :roll:

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
at this point we're planning on rebuilding my 71 350 and using that off the computer. theres no rush or time frame on it, i work on it when i'm not working one of my other junkyard derelicts :lol: and with a new full time job coming up i think i'll have my hands more than full. we have no intention of hacking the wiring in the off chance we decide to put it back stock we'd like to have the harness intact. being a family of plumbers we hate wiring... :evil: i have to say hunter, your website rules. thanks for the insight into the computer/wiring BS

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
lol No prob. :)

I did that before I had kids. Could never do that now with 2 little ones running around.

Yeah, sounds like you have a good plan. Watch out though, plans change as you dig into it. Ask me how I know. Lol :D

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
hunter_alexander said:
lol No prob. :)

I did that before I had kids. Could never do that now with 2 little ones running around.

Yeah, sounds like you have a good plan. Watch out though, plans change as you dig into it. Ask me how I know. Lol :D
so how do you know?... :lol: luckily i dont have kids and dont plan on for a few years or until my '71's done which ever happens first. the blueprints there and eveythings ready to roll so i dont see any major changes coming. as i've repeatedly said its my grandpas project i'm just the worker on it so to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor