Underneath my car CAUGHT on FIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I'll venture another armchair diagnosis. Sounds like you know of at least one short/power drain. Pull that fuse for now. Charge the battery and/or take it to a shop and have it tested. I might pull the alternator and have it tested at the same time to save a trip. If the battery is hosed, you may have burned up the alternator. If the alternator is hosed, you may have hurt the battery. Once the electrical system is known, fix that power antenna or replace it. Actually, unless you actually listen to the radio, ditch it. If you need a new windshield down the road, get the one with the antenna in it - just need the short jumper that connects it to the radio (junkyard, any GM car <1982 with the antenna in the glass ). One less thing to worry about.

Next, is the car running OK otherwise? Tuneup? What else might make it run so rich to turn the cat into a blast furnace?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

Chicora Hillbilly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2019
If we only use our car for short trips around home the battery is not completely recharged by the altenator and eventually it won't start. Today's vehicles with all the electronics need some drive time to keep the battery topped off.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If it will sleep awhile between uses, consider installing an on-board trickle charger and plugging the car in between uses. Lesson learned during the CV-19 experience...

Reactions: 4 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
If we only use our car for short trips around home the battery is not completely recharged by the altenator and eventually it won't start. Today's vehicles with all the electronics need some drive time to keep the battery topped off.
True story. My sis-in-law goes thru the same thing. She is near 70 yrs old, lives alone, and drives only 100 - 150 miles per month. I purchased and sent her a solar panel battery charger to keep the battery up. The charger works good, except she keeps the car in the garage so it still doesn't get the charge that it needs, except when she gets the car out to the store. I guess that little bit of charge while she is out, is better than none.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
If the cat is original, replace it with a magnaflow (or similar) high flow unit. Figure out why the car dies. Cut It OFF.

Fixed. :)

-Gonz

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor