Used 406 small block

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ok. If you have the damper, run the part number or have the balance checked. The dirty oil could be blowby or exhaust valve seals. Without the flexplate, you don't have much choice but to pull it apart.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
BrodiX IK heads have had a good history of worn guides. Could be the reason for black oil.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Yeah that's what I thought... I tend to overthink things. I need to confirm 100% it's internally balanced, it should be and I'm like 98% sure it is though.

As you probably know 400's are externally balanced. I would get the number off the crank and see how it's balanced. While you are at it step up to an SFI approved flywheel & balancer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
As you probably know 400's are externally balanced. I would get the number off the crank and see how it's balanced. While you are at it step up to an SFI approved flywheel & balancer.
Sure.... until someone internally balances it. It depends on how many slugs are in the crank.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.

I will definitely check it out better when I get it on a proper stand (it's in a cradle) although I know for a fact the bottom end is not at all stock with billet four bolt caps with ARP studs, H beams, and a forged crank. Doesn't mean someone didn't make a bonehead decision, but all that seems like a ton of cash to spend on a bottom end to not go internally balanced.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Oh boy... Well that doesn't sound good. 😕
This motor sounds almost Identical to my current ,I have a 260@ 050 crane cam solid ,I drive it everywhere ,runs extremely well mine is internally balanced ,I usually spin this motor to 7000-7200 ,200hp shot of spray ,can't wait to have my 496 done tho

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sure.... until someone internally balances it. It depends on how many slugs are in the crank.

I would say yes to both of ^^^ these.

You have two options as I see it - tear it down and check everything. Will be about $500 of you have a reasonable machine shop near you. Maybe $650 if you get it balanced (would then know exactly how it is set up.) No need to change the cam, but sure would be nice to know what it is. A hydro roller does have alot for longevity than a solid FT, but figure $1k in parts alone.

Option two - slap an SFI flexplate on for an internally balanced SBC and see if it vibrates like heck. If it doesn't then run it like you stole it for 2-300 miles.

Either way - your choice. The IK200's will easily support 500HP in'out of the box' form. If they've been worked over somewhat and have the rest of the assembly to go with them, then it could be closer to 600HP. There isn't any real way to tell/estimate HP potential without knowing the cam and compression.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Ik200s are really nice for the price ,I checked mine as they said we're good to 575 lift, spring pressures were with in 5lbs , bowls were cut nicely, check the balancer for part number,or on the crank, it's more then likely internally balanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor