V6 3.8L 229/231 CID Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Buick 3.8L (231) will be the easiest swap from the pontiac 400 that's in there now, and will bolt right up to your current transmission.
The Chevy 3.8L (229) would require a transmission swap for the proper bellhousing pattern.

Just make sure you hang onto that 400 so you can put it back in someday!

Glad to see you've got a good looking car enthusiast group over there!

i am not good in english talking ...
but
firstly i should say that i am glad to talking all you and learning something new.

i have a GM 350 automatic gearbox on my 78 GP ...
default engine was 301 and i got some problem with 301 engine ... so i installed a 400 on it .

Wow that is wild to see all those American cars, mostly Pontiac, with Iranian license plates! I had no clue that there were that many American cars over there. Over here, most guys would junk the 231 for the 400! Aren't your gas prices cheaper over there? Don't we get our gas from the middle east? Americans are just like Iranians we have more in common than people think, we just don't agree with your President. Good luck in finding a 231 for your Grand Prix Cyrus!

Well, it's a good idea to get a small motor to save gas, but spending over $2,000.00 to ship one from here is not the way I would go. Plus you would be getting a used one that may or may not be worth it. Here's what happened to me. See that Pontiac wagon by my name? It came with a Buick 231 and I thought it would be a great gas saver to put into my Malibu wagon while I worked on the Pontiac, so I did. Lots of little things did not swap easilly and a lot of work went into making it all functional. It ran great-for about two months, then the crankshaft broke and stranded me. Then I had to scramble to find another motor because it was my work car. It ended up being a huge expensive mistake and I had lots of parts here to use, I wasn't half a world away. Just something to think about.

84GP455 said:
Wow that is wild to see all those American cars, mostly Pontiac, with Iranian license plates! I had no clue that there were that many American cars over there. Over here, most guys would junk the 231 for the 400! Aren't your gas prices cheaper over there? Don't we get our gas from the middle east? Americans are just like Iranians we have more in common than people think, we just don't agree with your President. Good luck in finding a 231 for your Grand Prix Cyrus!

all of these cars came to Iran before 1979... if you talking about president or something like this so you should know what happend in Iran ...1979

anyway here price for petrol is 10cent/1liter but each car have a card and there is some network for gas stations that we can buy only 300 liters in 3 month. and price for free petrol without those cards is around 40cent.

Bonnewagon said:
Well, it's a good idea to get a small motor to save gas, but spending over $2,000.00 to ship one from here is not the way I would go. Plus you would be getting a used one that may or may not be worth it. Here's what happened to me. See that Pontiac wagon by my name? It came with a Buick 231 and I thought it would be a great gas saver to put into my Malibu wagon while I worked on the Pontiac, so I did. Lots of little things did not swap easilly and a lot of work went into making it all functional. It ran great-for about two months, then the crankshaft broke and stranded me. Then I had to scramble to find another motor because it was my work car. It ended up being a huge expensive mistake and I had lots of parts here to use, I wasn't half a world away. Just something to think about.

aha 😀

i think it 's better to pay money of new engine for buying benzin here 😀
my 400 engine is really powerful :d

OK. Then why not hook up with a rebuilder and get a rebuilt motor? That way there's no surprises. Costs the same to ship. Just be sure to get all the stuff that goes with it like carb,distributor,water pump,manifolds,everyrthing the motor needs to function. Plus it should come in a proper shipping crate, most likely with the small parts in a seperate container. And most importantly- your 78' car is pre-computer controlled-most 231's are computer controlled. Only 76' to 80' 231's are not. The vast number of 231's are from the 80's and computer motors. That's one of the problems I had- backfitting a carburetor and distributor from 79' onto my 81' 231.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor