V6 Dualjet Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadorbarajas

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2010
Hemet, CA
So I have an issue with my car. Choke isn't working, idles too high, runs tooo rich, and I am not happy with it. I fixed the vacuum lines to pass smog, which it did (BARELY!! lol). Now that routed the lines correctly to pass smog, it runs worse. I had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago, but I am pretty sure they rigged it to run "good". Now that it is corrected, it runs bad. I can barely accelerate without it wanting to bog down. I have been trying to troubleshoot it myself, but damn, this 82 emissions stuff will be the end of me. lol
But here is what I did today. I disconnected the PCM, and it still turned on and ran. Doesn't it need it to run?
I am thinking it just might need a carb rebuild. I disconnected the idle mixture solenoid and TPS and seemed to run "better". If anyone has any advice, tips, anything, greatly appreciated. I am kinda venting my frustration too.
My goal here is to just have a smooth, running car. It used to run good, no issues. Warmed up like how it supposed to. Then engine went, and hasn't been the same since rebuild.
Car is an 1982 Cutlass 231 V6.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Are you getting any check engine light or checked codes.
It doesn't need the ECM to run but to run correctly it does. You will get worse gas milage without the ECM if everything is working right.
Do you have a timing light, have you checked the timing?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
First, fix the choke. Then see why the computer isn't running things. If it's shot, probably easier to dump the computer and find a pre-computer carb and distributor and back-fit them old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor