Valve cover options on a 267

Status
Not open for further replies.

redster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2012
Edmonton, AB
The previous owner decided to put aluminium "racing" type valve covers on (not sure on the exact name). Needless to say, they leak, badly, and i'm looking to replace them with proper valve covers. So my question is, what type of valve covers will fit on top of a 267 V8? I apologize if this has been asked already, but i couldn't find anything!

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Did you try changing the gaskets? If u havent try that first unless the covers are dented or something. I would go with the cork gaskets too and some rtv. The rubber gaskets always still leaked fir me

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
redster said:
The previous owner decided to put aluminium "racing" type valve covers on (not sure on the exact name). Needless to say, they leak, badly, and i'm looking to replace them with proper valve covers. So my question is, what type of valve covers will fit on top of a 267 V8? I apologize if this has been asked already, but i couldn't find anything!
I think they are the same as any small block Chevy If so the choices are endless.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Sbc valve covers are the same from 55-86, so you can get them anywhere. Even autozone. As said, prob just needs gaskets or just tightened dwn.

redster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2012
Edmonton, AB
So you fellas would stick with the valve covers using handles rather then slap on a pair that uses traditional style bolts?

I was under the assumption that these style of covers leak easier then the old style.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
redster said:
So you fellas would stick with the valve covers using handles rather then slap on a pair that uses traditional style bolts?

I was under the assumption that these style of covers leak easier then the old style.
I would look at them carefully and make sure that the gasket surface is not bent or cracked.
I have had good luck with Fel-Pro steel shim valve cover gaskets, they are expensive $35 a set.
I have never had a pair leak,If installed properly. They are thick and can be re-torqued.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
tc1959 said:
redster said:

I would look at them carefully and make sure that the gasket surface is not bent or cracked.
I have had good luck with Fel-Pro steel shim valve cover gaskets, they are expensive $35 a set.
I have never had a pair leak,If installed properly. They are thick and can be re-torqued.

fel pro permadry gaskets. i have a pair and they dont leak, they also have torque limiters so you dont overtighten your covers but that requires you pay attention to what you're doing. if people didnt do it they wouldnt put the limiters on the gaskets.

i refuse to use cork, it will dry out eventually and will leak. i used them once and they leaked a few years later and i wont use them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor