Vynl top removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Removing them is a gooey mess. You will need to remove the quarter window interior trim panels to access the speed nuts that attach them. The chrome trim around the window has studs on the back that are held in by speed nuts and that's what removes them. But wait....there's more. When you take them out, there will be a sticky black sealer that will get everywhere, so mash off the glass completely ( both sides)and the quarters to catch it all and reduce cleanup afterwards. You will need to scrape as much off as possible before removing the tape, then go to town with either adhesive remover of lacquer thinner. After all the goo is removed, you can remove the tape and reseal it with butyl windshield tape. Don't use urethane as the window will never come off. Use Butyl and you'll be ok.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Removing them is a gooey mess. You will need to remove the quarter window interior trim panels to access the speed nuts that attach them. The chrome trim around the window has studs on the back that are held in by speed nuts and that's what removes them. But wait....there's more. When you take them out, there will be a sticky black sealer that will get everywhere, so mash off the glass completely ( both sides)and the quarters to catch it all and reduce cleanup afterwards. You will need to scrape as much off as possible before removing the tape, then go to town with either adhesive remover of lacquer thinner. After all the goo is removed, you can remove the tape and reseal it with butyl windshield tape. Don't use urethane as the window will never come off. Use Butyl and you'll be ok.

Good lord is it a mess!

That sticky black sealant started... oozing... down the inside of my windows years ago. I figure it was doing it before I even got the car because there was some baked on to the interior panel below the passenger side quarter window when I bought it. Awful stuff.

I still haven't removed my windows from when I pulled the vinyl roof off. Rather, I got some aftermarket weatherstripping, cut it down to size, and attached it around the outside of the window to hide the gap. It looks like it's supposed to be there, does the job and required me neither hunting down a pair of windows from a Grand Prix without the vinyl roof (which I think are about as common as the thylacine, at least in New Jersey) or removing the existing windows and dealing with the... mess therein.

AJ

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
I still haven't removed my windows from when I pulled the vinyl roof off. Rather, I got some aftermarket weatherstripping, cut it down to size, and attached it around the outside of the window to hide the gap. It looks like it's supposed to be there, does the job and required me neither hunting down a pair of windows from a Grand Prix without the vinyl roof (which I think are about as common as the thylacine, at least in New Jersey) or removing the existing windows and dealing with the... mess therein.

what did you do for the back window, there is big gap there when you remove that plastic piece that is riveted on?

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
v8power said:

what did you do for the back window, there is big gap there when you remove that plastic piece that is riveted on?

That was actually pretty easy. I just found an old Monte Carlo in a junkyard, that didn't have a vinyl top, and I pulled the chrome trim (and the clips to hold it on) off it. Cost me $10, and then I just put it back on the Grand Prix.

Needed a little bit of drilling, and attaching the plastic clips just right were kind of a pain in the arse, but it was overall fairly easy.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I have all the pictures in my alblum of taking off the vinyl top. I just used some acetone to remove the black foam stuff underneath it (granted it will eat off some of your paint, and then got the rear trim from the junkyard and painted the car and it looks great. Had to do some body work on the factory bondo cause it had cracked and fallen out.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Does anyone have a need for non-landau windows

Hi all,

If anyone needs non-landau windows. I have them.

I have a GP set with nice chrome. I bought an extra set when I found mine (Murphy's logic - look for anything long enough and you will find two of them). Make me an offer.

Thanks

STOOPUD

moparguy10

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2008
New Baltimore, Michigan
My GP has a brown landau top. It is in perfect condition but i want to remove it as the car will be flat black. Has anyone heard of dying or "painting" the vinyl top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor