want to build a kit car???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I can't recommend the 240 enough awesome bang for the buck car. An 86 is awesome however all the fan boys blew the pricing sky high. If you can find a good one for a reasonable price get it they are fun but a bit over rated.

Another I wouldn't mind doing is a 240Z with a RB in it.

Carsten

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2009
DORTMUND , Germany
MINI engine swap

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
My next project car will be a 4 cylinder import, I just don't know which one. My favorites (in no particular order) are: An Austin Mini with a B16B swap, an AE-86 Initial D clone, S13 with a red top SR20DET, A B13 Sentra SE-R with a BBDET and a B15 6 speed, or a Datsun PL510 2 door with either a KA24DE or a SR20DET swap. Low weight is such a great equalizer in vehicle dynamics.
Have a look there.... I have got a 1979Mini Cooper RHD , too , waiting in my garage ;-)
They built interesting things...
Greets , Carsten
http://www.zcars.org.uk/

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
I got a chance to drive a Caterham with a fully built Cosworth powerplant in it about 10 years ago. It was a full off race car built for hill climbs, but, the owner still had it registered as a street car (lights, tag, and everything worked). So ... after putting a new set of brembo's on it at the shop I worked at, I couldn't help but to take it out on the street. It was a riot. Super loud, around 250 N/A HP that all came on at around 3k. Yeah that was a day I won't forget. hahaha.

8)

And I've wanted one just like it ever since.

walkeraviator

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2008
Louisville, KY
Im in the same train of thought. I want a super seven real bad. But when it comes to someday having my very own import, I am a rotor head. I want a CYM FD RX7 with white wheels like the Initial d car. My roomie in college had an original CYM and it was sick.

Also love the idea of an RB26DETT in a 240Z. It would be shoehorned in, but is doable with two small sidemounts instead of a front mount intercooler.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I want the insane Caterham R500. You know, the one with the V8 made from 2 Hayabusa engines? There is also a version of the better-than-sex Ariel Atom with that engine too.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
walkeraviator said:
Im in the same train of thought. I want a super seven real bad. But when it comes to someday having my very own import, I am a rotor head. I want a CYM FD RX7 with white wheels like the Initial d car. My roomie in college had an original CYM and it was sick.

Also love the idea of an RB26DETT in a 240Z. It would be shoehorned in, but is doable with two small sidemounts instead of a front mount intercooler.

Actually, the RB bolts right in to a 240Z using the original L24b mounts. It is a popular swap in Australia. The RB series is an evolution of the L series in much the same way that the KA is, and thus they are easy swaps. Maybe you could "Pac Man" the radiator and intercooler in the front to avoid the dual side mounts and added plumbing? The CA is basically a cut down RB, so I have to wonder if it is a bolt in for a L16b too?

Also, given that the RB bolts in to the same mounts and is the same length as the L24/26/28, why not build a sleeper 810 Maxima with that swap? The original RWD Maxima was pretty much a Z car underneath, so it would make an awesome sleeper! Who would see that coming?

BTW, I find it extremely cool that although this is a domestic car forum, people here think and know about more than just musclecars. It shows that the stereotypes are not really true about the different automotive cultures and that people think for themselves in this hobby.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
My next import will be another S13 coupe ... when I find one that I'm happy about the price/condition. I've had two so far, can't wait to get another. If I ever do get another, I'm not going to sale it. It will be a keeper. I'm just going to do a mild build on it to be honest though. S13 front clip, SR20 with disco potato, V-mount, stance coils, deftforce 2 way, red with black interior. DUN.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I agree. The S13 is a nice all rounder of a car that doesn't need excessive power to spoil it. If I did an S13 it would be a coupe with a Silvia nose and a grille like the one on Project Silvia from the sadly defunct Sport Compact Car magazine. Why they had to kill the most tech heavy car magazine in the history of car magazines is beyond me. I learned so much from Dave Coleman's articles that it helped me gain most of my understanding of chassis dynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor