Wanted: Non-Vinyl top pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some pictures of a non-vinyl top car, preferably without the trim on. Should be close up enough to see where the clips go and whatnot.

Basically I'm installing the studs around the rear window to mount the clips, and I'd like to put them in factory positions.

I also am planning on modifying my vinyl top filler panel (at the bottom of the window) to work.
I don't really know what goes on down there with a non-vinyl car. So pics of that area would be helpful too.

Preferably for a Cutlass as well. (81-88).

Thanks!

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
i went thru this. how are u installing the clip studs? theres a company that makes a screw that is shaped like clip stud. it is real easy install. if you need some of this, i bought one box of 50. i drilled hole, and screwed in the stud without taking the back window out. i went and bought a panel from a non vinyl car. ill see if i can get a photo of this panel for you. i put 3 up on each side, and 4 along the top. test fit trim it looks great.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, a pic of that non-vinyl car panel would be awesome. If you can, get a few pics, so I can see how it is different than the vinyl car panel.

What I've done so far is:
Twisted off some of the existing studs from the perimeter molding around the old vinyl top.
I've got some 0.025" sheet metal, which I will cut into smallish squares. I'll punch a hole in the sheet metal squares which is just a little bit smaller than the diameter of the stem of the studs. The studs will then get (carefully) welded onto the sheet metal, essentially leaving me with a stud on a sheet metal base.

The base will then get (again, carefully) ground/filed down so that it's thinner, hopefully to about 0.015". After that, I will sand down the areas around the rear window rim to bare metal where the factory studs would normally go. Then I will use some Fusor metal bonding adhesive to stick them puppies on.

Essentially the idea is that the sheet metal will act as a base, and give the Fusor some area to stick to, and I won't have to take my rear window out.

If anyone has( or can get) some pictures/exploded views that shows the factory # and location of clips/studs, i wouldn't mind seeing them.

Possumz

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bump. pics please.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I know it's not a cutlass but here's my car, you can faintly see where the clips are, if it doesn't help then enjoy my media blasted bu ha

DSC03048.jpg

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Well, closer than anyone else has gotten! Looks like eight clips across the top...

Still holding out for some good detail pics of a Cutlass!

:bump:

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
DSC_00013.jpg

DSC_00022.jpg

DSC_00032.jpg

What exactly are you looking for? The pins need to be at least 3/8" down from the edge of the body, so the trim sits flush with the body.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Niiice... That's the best so far! I only have a couple questions for you:

#1: On the sides (specifically on the 1st picture) are there any clips missing? (Should there be 4, or only 3 clips? Just curious because the spacing looks uneven.)

#2: How many clips across the top? I get the general idea of the spacing, but I can't see the pins in the picture without the clips on them.

If you ever do put clips on those studs in the near future, please take pics! Or even if you put some masking tape on the body above to highlight where the pins are, that would be friggin' awesome! Great pics, just hard to tell where clips might be missing, and/or where the pins are in some cases.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
DSC_00014.jpg

DSC_00023.jpg

DSC_00033.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

As far as I can tell, the spacing is not consistant from car to car. Don't think it really matters, either.

The clips off my car were needed for this car that I did:

88_HO_1.jpg

88_HO_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor