wanting to buy a motorcycle 4 MPGs. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
STARTING IN August, I wll be driving 30 miles to school and back 4 days a week for 18 months. Iam looking to buy a motorcycle for less than $1000 that will do at least 75 mph and be reliable. My primary concern is as far as type of bike is fuel economy. I'd also like something that is not loud, and no dirtbikes either. What do you guys suggest?

I was thinking something lie this
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1653274338.html
or maybe a honda goldwing
http://www.ricksvintagebikes.com/1981%2 ... %20x%20382).jpg

For a thousand dollars that's about all you will get. It will do 75 MPH but it won't be comfortable.
That bike will vibrate pretty good at that speed.

When gas was $4.20 for premium and I was getting 6mpg with my old truck I was spending arround $150 every couple days in gas. It was a killer. I was all ready to get a bike then one of my friends who had the same idea was struck and killed by a lost tourist. I prefer 4 wheels now. Food for thought.

Goldwings are tough to beat. You won't get more bike for the money. My '82 GL1100 gets 45ish MPG and has been extremely reliable. I got it 13 years ago with 35K on it. I replaced the timing belt at 50K. Aside from tires, batteries, brakes, plugs, I haven't had to do anything to it. All of those things are routine wear and maintenance items that any bike will require. It now has just under 80K and has NEVER let me down. If you go shopping for any bike, keep in mind that all the little things can nickle-n-dime you to death. Avoid non-running bikes that have sat for a long time. Oil leaks on import bikes can be tough to fix too. Also stay away from "minor electrical problems". They are rarely minor. Good luck!

I rode my sport quad to work every day last summer and the summer before. i ended up trding it for my cutlass, ofcourse the quad was worth about $3500 but its legal in south dakota and a hand full of other states. It got decent mileage aslong as you arent racing around town and drifting around corners lol. no clue exactly what it got but i usually went about 2 weeks on about 3.5 gallons of gas. i think i rode an average of 5-7 miles a day sometimes less.

Why not just buy a smaller 2nd car? I drive a -85 corolla 1.3 liter (manual) in the winters. Gets about 33-42 mpg. Not the coolest car but it gets me to work. And MEGA cheap to fix. BTW fuel (95 oct) is now att approx. 7 dollars a gallon here in Finland (1,40 €/liter).

Köyhät kyykkyyn!!!! :shock:

Chamade LS said:
Why not just buy a smaller 2nd car? I drive a -85 corolla 1.3 liter (manual) in the winters. Gets about 33-42 mpg. Not the coolest car but it gets me to work. And MEGA cheap to fix. BTW fuel (95 oct) is now att approx. 7 dollars a gallon here in Finland (1,40 €/liter).

Thats not as fun as a motorcycle!!! 😀 HAHAH...if youre intrested i have a 2007 yamaha vino 50 for sale :rofl:

I would suggest a cheap econo car, like a '92 Nissan Sentra or something like that. It is pretty cold on a motorcycle when it is below 60*

Chamade LS said:

RITTER said:
I would suggest a cheap econo car, like a '92 Nissan Sentra or something like that. It is pretty cold on a motorcycle when it is below 60*

I have a 90 LeSabre that i can squeeze 35 mpgs out of if i drive like grandma. and i can't sell it because i need it to drive in the winter. it's reliable, powerful, and does wonderful in snow. I already have 2 other cars; My Cutlass, and My Blazer, both of which will never see snowy roads again; yet another reason to keep the Buick. and since i still live with my parents (still in highschool) i'm not allowed to have anymore cars. we don't have the room. There's allready 7 cars that live at my house, and we live in town.

Just get a 150cc moped, they will go like 85mph. Plus, you can get away with no registration or insurance with a moped. Technically the 50cc ones don't have to be registered/insured but a 150cc can pass :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor