Wanting to go boosted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmwz389

n00b
Oct 15, 2008
Hey guys!

I believe this is my first post so I don't wanna burn out my welcome by asking stupid questions but I NEED a place to start.

I have 1987 Monte SS (true) and want to go turbo 350.

I've read that I need a blow-thru carb and you need to build them to support blow-thru, but it's all confusing to me so I'm still reading about it.

Basically I want to sit around 500HP after the motor and turbo is done, I wouldn't mind 550 or 575, but It's a daily driver so I can't get too ridiculous in power.

What all do I need to go boosted? That may be a very vague question but I gotta have some starting point.

Do you think I could use a Garret T3T4 (like they use on honda's) to run adequate boost?

I dunno really where to start but I definitely know a turbo 350 SS is a rarity in itself, and I'm all about uniqueness!

Thanks guys!

- Brandon

If you drive it daily I would stay with a four speed. IMHO there are alot of advantages. Not that we care but you will get better economy. Lower 1st gear (better launches). Your car is already set up for it. A 2004r can be built to handle any horsepower for street and mild drag racing. And if you are gonna go big hp you can move to a 700r4 or even a 4L60 or 4L80. I have talked to some transmission guys and they tell me that good THM350 cases are getting hard to find. Just some food for thought. Good luck.
Dustan

Don't frown on your idea after reading this but if you are wanting to turbo a sbc you have alot more to worry about then attempting to turbo a honda. First sbc are not built for high boost. They have high compression and to get one adequate for some good boost you need low compression. But you can do this with stock gm parts. However you will have to have a custom set of headers made to run in and out of the turbo etc etc. If you are looking for a high boost motor let me know but for a low boost motor you can try this I found it on a site.
You have to modify your vacuum advance with heavy weights and heavy springs. You want to retartd your timing about 1 degree for every 10 hp.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 3_-1_11911
Turbos can be used on autos and manuals. Such as Gail Banks 6 gun shooter system.

The turbo size depends on how much boost you want to run and how much your bottom end and valve train is modified. For a stock setup, I'd recomend a T3/T4 Hybrid. The turbine will spin at the speed and drag of a T3 (smaller turbo) yet the impeller will move as much air as a larger T4 compressor. This is a pretty good sized turbo for a stock motor with boost from 8-13PSI. You're going to have to make a set of custom headers. Take a weld your own header kit and then use that flange as your base. Take the tubes and then work them up into a plenum. Each primary comes up to one perpendicular tube. For the T3 mount, use 3" pipe. Then weld one of these on to the ends of it: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 1_-1_11911

Get a gasket and then mount the turbo. On the back of the turbine, that is your exhaust. You're going to have to run a waste gate and a down pipe. Then you'll need to run oil lines to the turbo. Drill out your oil pan with two holes. A feed line and a return line. It'll have enough suction to pull oil into the turbo. Make sure you prime the lines. Then you'll have one more inlet and outlet for your coolant lines. Tap into the coolant lines from your heater hoses. Unless you have an aftermarket intake that'll have more holes. Then as far as the intake. The compressor face is where the air filter goes. If it is really close to the exhaust, i'd make a heat shield. If you need to get the air filter away, you can use silicone boots and piping to redirect the filter. Then the output goes to the pressure plenum. Drill a hole for a blow off valve. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 9_-1_11911
Since you don't have a computer, you can vent it into the atmosphere. The blow off valve will be controlled by a "positive" vacuum line aka a boost reference. You can get that anywhere between the turbo and the carb. Then your wastegate is controled with the same principle unless you get an electronic boost controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor