Water leak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

85' 3.8 Limited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2010
I have a water leak in my Regal and it has been leaking for the past 6 or 7 months. Every time I turn the car off, I hear a hissing sound, which is the water dripping on the exhaust on the rear, passenger side of the motor.. Is it the freeze plug (or glow plug) that is leaking???

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
i suppose a freeze plug could be a possiblity but in many cases with manifolds the freezeplus will actually sit lower than where they could drip on the manifolds. could be a freezeplug on the backof the engine or in my case the engine that i pulled to put in my car had a heater hose valve that was leaking that dripped onto my exhaust. My 3.8 never did anything like that so i wouldnt have an answer of something that notoriously happens but the best bet is start exploring, not saying it would be easy to find though because i know how much of a mess the stock engine bays on these cars are

85' 3.8 Limited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2010
Where is that valve located at??? I am pulling out the transmission and working on replacing that freeze plug in about 2 weeks or so. I might check that valve while I'm under there.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
85' 3.8 Limited said:
Where is that valve located at??? I am pulling out the transmission and working on replacing that freeze plug in about 2 weeks or so. I might check that valve while I'm under there.

well the 3.8 wont have the same exact thing imtalking about because i was referencing an olds engine but it would helpful to follow the two heater lines coming out from the firewall on the passenger side a look for leaks, drips, cracks whatever. It wouldnt be all that uncommon to find a leak in one of the old hoses

st1nger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2011
sounds like you need to do a radiator pressure check put pressure check tool on your car in place of radiator cap; run car for 10 minites to open thermo stat then turn off motor pump up gage and coolant system leak will be exposed the more you pump the more pressure and air and water have no where to go except out of leak you should be able to find leak eaily since it should being spraying under presure had a pin hole one time, never could find the leak thermo stat would close and leak would go away .
did the pressure check, turned motor off started looking found it in about 2 min, it was a heater bypass hose took 2hr to replace hose but 2min to findlooked for weeks would never have found it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor