Water Pump

Is there a way to tell the difference? Definitely a serpentine set up on my 350, should I just assume it's a CCR?

If it looks like any of these 80's/90's GM FACTORY TPI/TBI serpentine belt systems, then it's definitely CCR rotation. I don't think there's any way to know for sure, except by "application" and "part number" lookup. Otherwise you have to remove the back cover and look at the impeller to tell afaik because other than the impeller shape, the pumps otherwise look the same. Some will claim if you mix them up, you can definitely get less flow, and possibly cavitate the pump under some conditions.

1727738426921.png
1727738446276.png
1727738475511.png

If you look up WP for 1988 Camaro 5.7 TPI, it will be part number 252-719 in ACDelco, but note the specs show REVERSE rotation.

Basically if it's a serpentine belt driven water pump on a late 80's and up SBC, it will be reverse rotation. The older, and some applications with the standard V belt driven water pumps will be standard rotation. That is the water pump is spun by the BACK side of the serpentine belt, and the pulley is smooth, with no grooves like for example the power steering pump.

1727738669577.png

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor