weatherstripping question (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
I put in soffseal weatherstrip in my cutlass and it didnt fit too well. So i bought steele rubber and had a guy in town install them. The driver side roof rail seal doesnt seal very well but he said it was due to my window being lose (which it is). Seems to make sense but not sure. The passanger door seals pretty well accept for one spot. In you guys' expierence is it normal to have problems replacing these or do u think the guy did crappy work?

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I haven't replaced mine yet, but I can't understand how these cars sealed perfect when they were new.

Basically, there isn't too much you can do with the roof rail strip. It is more to do with your windows. Did you replace the belt line window sweeps? That is supposed to help the window wobble a little, but adjusting the window helps even more. You basically have to do a trial and error moving the window in and out front and back until everything works as good as it can. The felt on the window stops/ inner sweeps can wear, and adding/replacing felt will help too.

Also having the door hinges rebuilt and having the door itself correctly aligned will alleviate problems.

Basically you want to go in this order: 1.) Rebuild door hinges and align the doors 2.) Replace weather strips (sweeps, roof rail) 3.) Adjust the windows.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
ya im gonna replace the bushings and pins in the doors. And i did get new window sweeps unfortunately i ordered without reval instead of with reveal. I was hazy on what the reveal actually was, now i know for certain it is the thin piece of chrome on top of the seal, not a peice of chrome that goes along the door ledge. thanks.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
In all my searching, researching and rebuilding my 87, There is nothing, Repeat, NOTHING that fits or works as well as the OEM GM stuff.

It costs more, and it should. Its the only stuff that fits right, looks right and seals right.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
When i go to paint in a few years thats what im gonna do. Whish i wouldnt have wasted my money with this aftermarket crap. Nice cutlass by the way, i like the 442 paint scheme.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
hunter_alexander said:
In all my searching, researching and rebuilding my 87, There is nothing, Repeat, NOTHING that fits or works as well as the OEM GM stuff.

It costs more, and it should. Its the only stuff that fits right, looks right and seals right.

Where do you get OEM GM stuff? Are they currently producing it or is it 20+ year old NOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor