Tips For Gluing Weatherstripping

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Steele Rubber Products has a brief, quick 6 pic tutorial about some weatherstripping gluing tips for those replacing rubber bits on their car. I agree with 95% of their assessment, especially about not globbing it on, but I can tell you from experience that G-bodies' factory-installed weatherstripping usually did not have their weatherstripping glue spread out with a popsicle stick. A very thin bead of adhesive is what the majority got and trust me, that was usually enough. That stuff is a motherbear to get out of weatherstrip channeling and the less the better. Will never say never, but I got a feeling things weren't all that automated on the gluing portion of the weatherstripping from what I've experienced and very few places they put "extra" glue. The goal is a water-tight seal and prevention of the weatherstrip from falling out or off it's channel, and you don't need much. Another tip is to use black adhesive to match the weatherstripping color in case a bit gets pushed out of the channel. Won't look as bad.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Nice! There is a balance here, I tackled the weather stripping project a few years ago and it came out great. The only issue has been lately, the passenger side door, the fat piece that runs vertically that the window grabs, has been separating from the car. I do not think I used enough of the black adhesive on that section and it is a piece that sees a lot of "action" from the window going up and down. Agreed that stuff is nasty and a bit of a pain to work with.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Steele Rubber Products has a brief, quick 6 pic tutorial about some weatherstripping gluing tips for those replacing rubber bits on their car. I agree with 95% of their assessment, especially about not globbing it on, but I can tell you from experience that G-bodies' factory-installed weatherstripping usually did not have their weatherstripping glue spread out with a popsicle stick. A very thin bead of adhesive is what the majority got and trust me, that was usually enough. That stuff is a motherbear to get out of weatherstrip channeling and the less the better. Will never say never, but I got a feeling things weren't all that automated on the gluing portion of the weatherstripping from what I've experienced and very few places they put "extra" glue. The goal is a water-tight seal and prevention of the weatherstrip from falling out or off it's channel, and you don't need much. Another tip is to use black adhesive to match the weatherstripping color in case a bit gets pushed out of the channel. Won't look as bad.

I imagine that the factory workers probably used special power caulk guns, likely sausage style caulk guns that are loaded with commercial size tubes of weather stripping glue. Perhaps even caulk guns with hoses that run to a large central vat of the stuff, I have seen that kind of setup.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I imagine that the factory workers probably used special power caulk guns, likely sausage style caulk guns that are loaded with commercial size tubes of weather stripping glue. Perhaps even caulk guns with hoses that run to a large central vat of the stuff, I have seen that kind of setup.
From what I've seen, it had to be manually applied by humans. No computer-guided machine would ever make those sort of haphazard lines. It was probably the same guy they did to tape the paint break lines on the VIN 9 cars.

Probably this guy.

264x264.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor