What am I looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadorbarajas

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2010
Hemet, CA
I live in Cali and car failed smog at my cousins smog shop. The NOx was too high, so we assumed it was the EGR. I checked it, gave it a clean, but in the process of trying to remove the EGR in such a tight spot, a rubber hose came out(Pics below). Now my question is, what is it?! lol it seems like a vacuum line, it leads to the bottom right front of the carb.
Oh, engine is 231 V6 in an 82 Olds Cutlass Supreme.
Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• SANY9674.JPG
    SANY9674.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 986
  • SANY9683.JPG
    SANY9683.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 961
  • SANY9684.JPG
    SANY9684.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 962

JohnS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2011
I just changed the grommet and pcv valve yesterday in my 87 cutlass so I am going to say that is the pcv grommet and the pvc valve. On the 3.8 the pcv valve is behind the carb in the intake and the hose runs from that valve to the front bottom of the carb.

My luck the hose was so brittle it snapped in half. I know I could have probably used any hose but I found an OEM one in Alabama and should have it in next day or 2.

amadorbarajas

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2010
Hemet, CA
Thanks guys for the info. I got all my vacuums fixed, my EGR cleaned, and my car now passed smog, but 1 problem. It runs like crap once it is warmed up. Gotta figure out what is wrong now...ugh!!!

87gcutlass

n00b
Sep 27, 2012
Help? I dont know where that hose was connected to after being removed could use little a help. One end to that hole on the manifold , the other end connects to ?

amadorbarajas

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2010
Hemet, CA
87gcutlass said:
Help? I dont know where that hose was connected to after being removed could use little a help. One end to that hole on the manifold , the other end connects to ?
There should be a nipple on the valve cover closest to the valve on the intake.

JohnS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2011
it goes to a nipple in the front of the carb about center down low under the fuel filter/line

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor