what are the options for drive by cable GM gen4 v8?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
If I were to pick up a junkyard gen4, would I have to run Holley (TerminatorX) or a Mega Squirt ECU to run a drive by cable throttle body? I'm not interested in using an electronic pedal, but I am interested in using a motor with VVT and not DOD, like the 4.8L L20 for my next swap.

I know many have modified the gas pedal that came with the donor truck, but if I absolutely had to go with drive by wire, I think I'd spring for the $150 CTSV pedal.

Who is running DBC and who is running DBW in their gen4 58-reluctor swap?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
If I were to pick up a junkyard gen4, would I have to run Holley (TerminatorX) or a Mega Squirt ECU to run a drive by cable throttle body? I'm not interested in using an electronic pedal, but I am interested in using a motor with VVT and not DOD, like the 4.8L L20 for my next swap.

I know many have modified the gas pedal that came with the donor truck, but if I absolutely had to go with drive by wire, I think I'd spring for the $150 CTSV pedal.

gen 3 but have you considered a carb setup? i haven't seen this too much then again i'm a sbc guy.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I use bicycle brake cable and sheath. I have a factory firewall sheath and splice a piece of the bicycle sheath to it.

Put a ball of silver solder onto the pedal end of the cable. It’s worked for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Seems like I'm the only one who know's what you are asking. Do those aftermarket ones support being able to run a Cable TB on 58X? I've never looked into it because I run Gen III stuff.

The whole bit of wanting to Carb a VVT Engine made me laugh harder than it should, some people don't understand technology. Scary wires n sht...

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I use bicycle brake cable and sheath. I have a factory firewall sheath and splice a piece of the bicycle sheath to it.

Put a ball of silver solder onto the pedal end of the cable. It’s worked for 4 years.
Stock 99-02 GM V8 GMT800 Truck Cable works perfectly fine, been in my SS for 9 years or so..

6.0L T56 FRONT CENTER.jpg

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Stock 99-02 GM V8 GMT800 Truck Cable works perfectly fine, been in my SS for 9 years or so..
My '84 Monte has an '04 LM7 (5.3L truck) that was drive by wire; I converted it to drive by cable using a '00 DBC harness/ECU and a throttle body from a LS1 Trans Am. If I LS swap the '78 cutlass, I'll make it a highway car. I'm thinking 3.08 or 3.23 gears on 28-spline 7.625" TruTrac, 4L60e (6L50e?) and L20 (4.8L Gen4 w/exhaust-side VVT). The commuter cars I own (2016 Chrysler T&C, 2015 Jeep Renegade) have drive-by-wire and it REALLY pisses me off when my foot on the pedal (throttle position) tends to be a suggestion to the ECU. I want my brain to tell my foot the throttle position; I don't want my brain to tell my foot to ask the ECU [nicely] to achieve that throttle position at its leisure.

Thanks for your interest and contributions to this post, folks. To restate/refine the original question: what are my options for converting Gen4 LS to drive by cable? I do not want to bolt an electric pedal into the g-body. I want to use the g-body gas pedal with a cable to a LS1 or aftermarket throttle body bolted onto a Gen4 engine that only came with drive-by-wire throttle. I expect I can't use a LS1 computer with the Gen4 4.8L. Do I have to use a Holley or MegaSquirt ECU to use drive-by-cable on Gen4 with fuel injection?

Carbs on Gen4 with VVT is definitely LOL (special kind of retarded).

I'm aware there are numerous options for the cable itself; I'm using a pricy Lokar variant because the F-body cable was out of stock when I did the swap in 2020 when the supply chain was sitting on the couch collecting free money.

The point here is that I get about 15 MPG on the highway with the 5.3L and 3.42 gears. I know everybody says they get 20 MPG on the highway, driving to the dragstrip in their super-boosted LS-swapped g-body with 4.11 gears and 100#/hr snake-eater injectors, but I call BS to the highest level on those claims. I use the trip odometer and divide by the gallons on my gas station receipt and it isn't ever over 15 MPG driving @ 75 MPH. I expect the cutlass brick will be closer to 20MPG with the smaller stroke 4.8L and taller gears.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I believe you have to use an aftermarket TB. I’m not familiar with a DBC Gen 4 that offered a 4 bolt DBC TB. A low budget TB will work just fine.

Regarding fuel economy, if you’re getting 15 mpg with a stock cam, or near a stock cam, and stockish converter, then you are leaving a bunch on the table. 20mpg is not pie in the sky especially for if your setup is using stock parts. What transmission are you using?

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
From my memory, should be able to get an adapter for the LS1 TB to bolt up. I think the issue will be, I don't think the GEN 4 ECM
's have the IAC drivers to run it. They open the throttle blade. If you go with a 411ECM you can't do VVT. Not sure if aftermarket can do VVT and 58x? Might be hard to get both throttle cable and VVT 58x. Lingenfelter makes a 58x to 24x conversion box.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
You can run a stock ecm and harness from a DBC setup i believe. but the issue is the VVT. From what I read into when building my LY6, I could not find anything other than a factory PCM that could control VVT or AFM.DOD. You may need to call a shop that specializes in programming/tuning factory computers and start there. I ended up deleting mine and going with a terminator x maxx for my setup.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor