what can a 3.8 do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
megaladon6 said:
the new modern 3.8 is a different story. the new efi 3.8s are known to be excellent motors.

now if they could make an intake gasket that didn't leak, that would be impressive!

C'mon...it's GM. You can't possibly expect them to get quality control right can you?

regalman4925 said:
sorry, wasnt reffering to you. i have just developed a hate for 3.8s, they caused me so many nighmares in the past that i would do anything i can to encourage anybody owning one to get rid of it. next to rust issues i would say they are the number one reason that g body cars make it into the salvage yard. you can get a salvage yard 350 into a g body for 500 bucks if you play your cards right. i pulled a lt1 about a year ago for 180 bucks and it had everything and i regret not grabbing the 4l60e to go with it for 50 bucks. thats how much a complete motor and transmission sells for in omaha....... sorry again

I know what you mean. I come across LT1's in 9C1 Caprices and Roadmasters quite often in the local U pull it yards I frequent. I don't pull one because they are not the cheapest thing to buy parts for, and they have some odd quirks that can be expensive-optispark?-when they fail. Now if I found a Gen III engine that would be a different story!

Back to the 2 bbl V6 G bodies, the problem is that they have no redeeming qualities in stock form. Not really good on gas, failure prone oil pump, slower than anything this side of a MB 240D and they handle like a tug boat (but the MB will destroy it in fuel economy and longevity). The transmission is not particularly reliable and the ergonomics of the car are just stupefying in their badness. Their only redeeming quality is that they take an engine swap easily and have lots of parts available aftermarket, junkyard and even restoration. If you had to spend what a typical G body V6 car goes for and just wanted transportation, your money could be better spent on something else. A used Nissan Maxima is better on gas, faster and has better ergonomics than the V6 G body in a car that is comparable in size. Same thing a Camry. Am I advocating people buy that instead? No. I like G bodies but realize that 97% of the ones GM built are awful as they came from the factory by today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor