what do you think of the camaros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I'm looking on something else to drive while I work on my monte.

theres a couple on CL that I have found, but I'm really interested in this 1991 Camaro RS with a 5.0 in it 87K original miles

just checkin...how do you guys think of these as an overall car? Not really looking for performance wise just something to drive so the monte can be worked on.

thanks

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I like them... They handle pretty good especially if you upgrade the flimsy stock panhard bar and trailing arms, and if you wanted to go a step further with some decent springs and shocks. TPI isn't the best for flow, but then again a 305 isn't exactly a Hi-Po engine so it's fine and the TPI makes good torque. They're comfortable as long as you don't mind feeling like your *ss is literally about an inch from the pavement because they sit really low and the dash is really high makes you feel like you're way down in the car. I dunno what else to say about them... They're heavy, heavier than most G-bodies if I remember correctly. The big rubbery nose on them by this point (the newest ones are even almost 20 years old) is usually cracked or sagging like the bumper fillers on most G's only a whole nose is a lot more expensive to replace. Oh and lots of them have rear wheel disc brakes which as long as they're in good shape have great stopping power.

I dunno I like them, I think they look cool they're pretty fun to drive, they turn heads... Just don't try to beat up on to many ricers with a stock 5.0L because a lot of them will beat you. :mrgreen:

Oh and one last thing, the front seats lay alllllll the way back flat... Which is good for if you have to sleep in your car for some reason. And its almost as conducive to other activities as a bench seat. :wink:

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
Blake442 said:
You're going to have to cut the sleeves off of a bunch of your T-shirts if you buy one...

Hahahahahah you might want to consider a new hair cut I'd say business on top party in the back would go nicely with the camero

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
supkylesup said:
Blake442 said:
You're going to have to cut the sleeves off of a bunch of your T-shirts if you buy one...

Hahahahahah you might want to consider a new hair cut I'd say business on top party in the back would go nicely with the camero
lol why u guys clowning ... but in my opinion if its not another project then i might drive it but then again i need a gas saver

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I love them. Never liked em really until my friend bought his 84 (I helped him find a project car). That was a great car with some mods already done, it had a carbed 350, ran 15's, and was clean. With a coat of paint and some more interior cleanup it could have been a perfect car. Dumbass traded it off for a 2nd gen that needs TONS of work. Best part about it was for $2500 it had no ROT, only a small spec of rust in the one wheel well which I cut out...

When he bought it:

100_4574.jpg

After we got done with it: (still missing the valence and had the horrible tint in these pics, later fixed)

100_5051.jpg

100_5052.jpg

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
3rd generation Camaro = POS rattle trap IMO. They're ugly too. They handle pretty good though.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've owned/worked on all 4 gens and the 4th has to be the worst ever for hard to do repairs. The Opti-Spark ignition is a nightmare in a class of it's own. However the 4th gens out handle and out perform all but the rarest of the older gens. 1st gens are now museum pieces, 2nd gens are closing in on that status, but deals are still out there, 3rd gens can be had cheaply if you shop wisely, as many have tired motors and shot suspensions, 4th gens are coming down drasticly except for ultra nice examples. Of course the 5th gens are new so if you had the money they are what they are. As for a go-to-work car I drove a Firebird all 36 years I worked and It was a pleasure to fire it up and actually enjoy driving to work.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The TBI runs okay and is dead reliable. In a good state of tune will get close to 20mpg. They handle relatively well. Avoid T-tops if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor