Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
ok...so wut does the x pipe do?
i see alot of people with that and ive been wondering for a minute...lol

The point of the X pipe is to provide equal back pressure in both exhaust pipes and it helps quite down the exhaust just a bit. I'm running an H-pipe where you just run a pipe directly between the two exhaust pipes. This can help with both fuel economy and performance as it gives the engine better exhaust breathing and flow.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the x-pipe also helps increase flow velocity which scavenges the exhaust and can actually help suck air in at the beginning of the intake stroke.
afterburner headers, pypes 2.5in w/X and street pro's.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Flowtech long tube 1 5/8" primaries and 3" collector reduced to 2 1/2" through a custom X-pipe by Muffler Masters in Kannapolis, NC and through THRUST mufflers dumped out before the rear axle

Wish I had a video camera to get a good sound clip (my cell phone sucks) but it sounds really good, loud but good!

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Once the 403 gets in, I'll have a 2 1/2" set of straight back pipes w/ dynomax mufflers and an "H" pipe duping right before the axle.

Until then, I have a cat deleted stock exhaust.

Here's a vid, ignore the black splotch of paint,I have repainted the lower 1/4. Also, ignore the odd rattling towards the end of the vid, that was the flange from the cat still just hanging on the pipe. Since been removed.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Hooker 2451 1-5/8" headers with 3" collecters
Hooker 3" to 2.5" reducers
Pypes bolt in 2.5" kit w/ x-pipe
Street Pro Pypes mufflers

Absolutely love it. Only thing I'd like to change are the one pipe I needed to get from Autozone isn't stainless, the bulky clamps, and a different set of headers.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Stock 305 with duals and glasspacks, off the manifolds. And out the back. Stock x-member (both pipes run side by side until after the x-member, but still true duals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TME6JqzWR8s

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
wow didnt think i'd get this many response's but thanks good vids too well my ? is now ... i plan on getting longtubes hookers, an would it be better choice for X pipe or H pipe? an is the cost cheaper for one or the other, an 2 ? is is being dumped at the rear better then straight see a lot you guys have it dumped? thanks

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Cutty1 said:
wow didnt think i'd get this many response's but thanks good vids too well my ? is now ... i plan on getting longtubes hookers, an would it be better choice for X pipe or H pipe?

An H-pipe works well but I believe it's mostly just in the lower end of the RPM band while an X-pipe helps make more power through the RPM range.
You'll also notice that an X-pipe will give the exhaust note a bit more of an "exotic" sound to it compared to an H-pipe.

an is the cost cheaper for one or the other,

The H-pipe is probably slightly cheaper and easier to install.

an 2 ? is is being dumped at the rear better then straight see a lot you guys have it dumped? thanks

Dumping the exhaust at the rear as opposed to having tail pipes doesn't really affect the power. It's just easier and cheaper to do. However its also going to be louder since the exhaust is dumping out point at the ground and reflecting back up to the underside of the car.
On my car it was just easier to do the dumps because with the watts link and pro-touring rear sway bar, bending 3" exhaust pipe to clear all of that would be a nightmare.
If you do dumps, one thing that can help with the sound is to angle the outlets towards each other a little under the car.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
to add to FE3XCLONE's post,
I found the dumps resinated at roughly 1400rpm in my car. It may be different with different motors, but this is the range which I found my sbc 350 to resinate the most.

Resinating makes the whole car vibrate, and pretty much anything around it. If you live in a quiet neighborhood, with many people using car alarms, people may get tired of you vibrating their houses and setting off alarms everywhere.
It may sound and feel cool, but it gets old eventialy :roll:

In my car, it was as simple as adding tailpipes to get rid of the resinance, and keep the throaty exhaust note.

If you plan on using dumps, you could also point them towards the sides of the car. If you plan on using tail pipes, there are a few options too...
1. there is the classic Monte -straight out the back- look
2. there is a GN -angled outward behind the rear wheels- look (like on my car)
3. and I think there is a -sideways behind the rear wheels- look as well.

option #3 is great for doing smokey burnouts, as the exhaust pushes the tire smoke outwards... seen here on my buddy's 69 Cutlass.
http://www.youtube.com/user/torinosport ... Xh29eF1fUU

anyways,
Hope that helps

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
No tailpipes definitely increase the amount of resonance, and the body acts as a megaphone of sorts, amplifying it. It does get old after a while, I cut part of the tailpipes of my TBI 350-equipped pickup some years ago, and after a few months had a new set of pipes put back on... I must be getting old :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor