What gauge is our G-body sheet metal?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I need to make something and I need to know what gauge our sheet metal is. I am most interested in the body sheet metal. Doors, quarter panels, etc. I tried miking it but the results did not jive with a gauge chart I have.

It's thin, maybe 18 gauge. I know it's not as thick as it was on my '72 & just waking past seems to add dings.
It’s not even that thick. It is definitely an odd size, near as I can tell it usually specs out at around 21 gauge which isn’t actually a size.

I usually use 20 gauge, as it’s the easiest to work with, 22 is too thin, and 19 becomes too thick and difficult to get to cooperate.

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna agree with that 19 ga suggestion. During a recent grafting session, I tried to use body sheet metal on a vintage bike fender and found that the contemporary metal was significantly thinner than the immediate post war host it was being attached to; something like .030 worth of difference. I do know that for any type of butt weld where it is body metal to body metal, you should plan to have and use a copper backer plate to absorb the heat or blow through will be inevitable. Just went through multiple rounds of that with my Monte project and chasing blow throughs is not my idea of fun with a Mig welder.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor