What is a 2 piece timing cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
My timing cover gasket dried up this winter . I was looking for a new timing cover cause i think its one of those cheap spectre ones from checker . Summit has one for 35.95 its a 2peice not quite sure what that means ?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
A two-piece timing cover allows you to remove the top half to change cam timing (assuming you have an adjustable cam gear). Normally you'd need to pull the harmonic balancer and take off the full one-piece cover to do this. If you don't have an adjustable cam gear, you don't need it.

elcaminokyle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2007
Also allows you to play with different camshafts without dropping the pan every time and breaking that oil pan to timing cover seal. This is a small block chevy right? I have the edelbrock version and it has the cosmetic front piece and behind that is the second piece that stays sealed to the oil pan. It would let you play with different cams and I suppose if you wanted to throw in a gear drive or remove one for a timing chain set-up.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i bought this one its a milodon

mil-65500_m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor