what is the charcol canistar there for really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could just mount it hidden, out of sight...then you wouldnt have to spend money on a polished or chrome canister

The reason the charcoal canister is there is because GM realized people like to have spontaneous BBQs so they put it there as a "party starter". Its on page 42 of your owners manual. :rofl:

By keeping the gas tank a closed venting system, the charcoal can also cuts down on condensation forming in the gas tank, which inturn cuts down on gunk build up in the tank. Also slows down phase separation with modern E10 gas. The older open vent gas tanks used to rust up sooner and get worse junk build up. So keeping the charcoal can is a win-win. Every piece of "smog crap" that some call it is really put into these cars for damn good reasons.

MrHernandez said:
"The reason the charcoal canister is there is because GM realized people like to have spontaneous BBQs so they put it there as a "party starter". Its on page 42 of your owners manual. GM wanted you to have the freedom to start a party whenever you want. And that's what America is about, Rusty. It's about freedom." -Earlie Cuyler

I too enjoy Squidbillies.

307 Regal said:
MrHernandez said:
"The reason the charcoal canister is there is because GM realized people like to have spontaneous BBQs so they put it there as a "party starter". Its on page 42 of your owners manual. GM wanted you to have the freedom to start a party whenever you want. And that's what America is about, Rusty. It's about freedom." -Earlie Cuyler

I too enjoy Squidbillies.

:mrgreen:

yep you should want to leave your vent and charcoal canister system in tact. It cuts down the smell of gas which makes your ride a whole lot more refined and burns off gas vapors and also prevents pressure buildup in the tank

Oh, and on a serious note, you should lift it out and see if there's junk in there.
I did that when I was cleaning out my engine bay. Other than water, mud, and leaves, I also found a plastic leaf from a fake plant. :wtf: I'm really curious as to how it got there, but I guess I'll never know..

I removed all of my emissions equipment a long time ago, but I left the canister. The line running to the carb is now running basically straight down from the canister. I trimmed it so you can't see anything hanging down past the fender. I don't think I have any pictures though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor