What is the correct geometry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
When it comes to custom engine swaps,etc.Its not about where the mounts were from factory...How do i get this power steering to hook up?Doesn't it all phase down to the driveline?Think I saw something on being in line with rear-end pinion?How (Where) do you go about this?Start at the *ss and work your way forward or throw a block in a go from there?Personally I would think budget wise you would start with your transmission...curious cuz im messing with my pontiac mounted g-body and I cant get them local so Im playing with olds and chevy mounts trying to save a buck but yet trying to make sure everything is true...Must be an answer if i have this motor and this car.... :oops:

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Help those of us, that must be remedial readers, out and start at the beginning. What engine are you putting into what car? and what isn't lining up right? Engine swaps into G-body cars should be easily coverred with the correct factory parts. At some point, GM put every small block V-8 family in one (aside from the Caddy V-8s). Pontiacs - 301, Olds - 307, Chevy - 305 and well Buick, OK the V-8s never made it but V-6 and V-8 engine mounts should be the same.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
What does the power steering have to do with the driveline angle? Or is that a separate issue your having?

I was dealing with driveline angles a while back since my T56 seemed off. My trans/engine was pointed 5 degrees down and I was told that most like to shoot for zero degrees at the trans output face. I had to cut my floor for more clearance with the T56 but still could only get to about 3-4* which I was told would work, just not the most ideal. I have double adjustable upper rear control arms so I'll be able to adjust my pinion angle to compensate.
Some have told me that they've run across G-body's with as much as 8* down angle.

Your biggest concern is having the centerline of the u-joints for the trans and rearend parallel.

2joint_angle.gif

If your trying to check all of this though without the parts your going to actually be using (engine/trans) I really don't think your going to be getting anywhere with it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
pinion angle (theoretically) should be zero. the reason it's not is that when you drive the car and load the rear, it twists a little bit. this happens more/less depending on the type of rear suspension. G-body's, having a 4-link are, in this one situation, very rigid and require very little angle. leaf spring cars require much more. here's an article on it http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/index.html
short story 2-4* on a g-body.
of course this assumes your engine/trans are set properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor