What is the correlation with S10 & G Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Pulled an old thread out ehh? Yes, they handle like *ss before 2000. And they are fine for a 6'2" guy if you like driving with your knees at a 90 degree angle lol. My son has one and I feel like the seat needs to be in the box by 6 inches or so for me to be comfortable driving. FWIW, a Ford Ranger was the same way during the same production years. Everyone was so proud of these small truck turds that couldn't get 25 mpg in stock form.

I'm sure there was good use for these, I'm just not sure what it was. Perhaps a place for GM to use up all of their overstock G-body parts because some higher up dingaling at GM thought that FWD was the only solution to new cars in the late 80's. 'What are we going to do with all of these Cutlass, Monte, Regal and Gran Prix parts? Let's make a turd of a RWD pickup that we can stick them on' - Excellence In Thinking 101 was the name of that class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
e
Pulled an old thread out ehh? Yes, they handle like *ss before 2000. And they are fine for a 6'2" guy if you like driving with your knees at a 90 degree angle lol. My son has one and I feel like the seat needs to be in the box by 6 inches or so for me to be comfortable driving. FWIW, a Ford Ranger was the same way during the same production years. Everyone was so proud of these small truck turds that couldn't get 25 mpg in stock form.

I'm sure there was good use for these, I'm just not sure what it was. Perhaps a place for GM to use up all of their overstock G-body parts because some higher up dingaling at GM thought that FWD was the only solution to new cars in the late 80's. 'What are we going to do with all of these Cutlass, Monte, Regal and Gran Prix parts? Let's make a turd of a RWD pickup that we can stick them on' - Excellence In Thinking 101 was the name of that class.
My dad had an 89 extended cab. That truck did great burnouts, so there’s that.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
e

My dad had an 89 extended cab. That truck did great burnouts, so there’s that.
I had an ‘85 or ‘86 extended cab with no rear seat. The seat did go back far enough to drive comfortably. I should’ve mentioned that earlier. The single cabs and long legs are not conducive to comfortable rides lol.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
GM also used elements of the S10/Gbody chassis in the Astro van design. If you happen to find an early one with the manual transmission, it had a bellhousing with the V8 block pattern and the Ford pattern T5 transmission. If intrigued, look up the gear ratios on British V8. Although non-world class, it had similar numbers as a Saginaw/Muncie wide ratio plus a modest overdrive 5th.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor