what kind of silicone to glue dash cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumoBu

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2010
So my bu came with a brown dash cap which I removed and died black. Now I'm at the stage of putting it back in but I don't know what to use to adhere it back on. I've read that most dash caps come with silicone but havent found much info about what type. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Well I just bought a dash cap it comes with a glue from the manufacturer I haven't looked much into into it but I'll give it a look tomorrow and let you know

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
I got mine at opgi and as for the glue, it didn't say anything.

84e/c

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2010
bethpage.ny
mine came with what looked to be a good grade clear silicone in a rather small tube. the instructions read that it wasnt a good idea to glob it on & to apply it around the edges but it wasnt enough. i just put a good bead of it ( g.e. silicone) from a regular caulking gun all over but not right up to the edges.

SumoBu

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2010
I found a small sticker on the backside of the cap today identifying it as a accu-form cap. After a quick google search and a call to them, they said that regular clear rtv silicone is the best to use. Like I said the cap came in my car but if I had to buy one I would go with accu-form, it fits damn good and they were pretty cool when I talked to them.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
The reason they recommend that the dash cap not be completely glued to the existing dash is that the original dash is not through shrinking (and expanding on hot days). By completely adhering a dash cap it will have to contract and expand with the dash underneath it and will eventually crack (ask me how I know).

Using just enough to hold it around the edges will allow the cover to “float” over the existing dash when it expands and contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor