What manual do I need to buy for wiring diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Also many times the Buick ones are 2 volume sets in a hardcover binder. At least that's the way my 85 Buick manual is.
20210502_190234.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
Buy once, cry once. When you had to buy them through Helm, the company that provided them to GM, they were around $200-300. No matter what you pay, 76 or 60, it's worth the price of admission.
I'm not complaining about the price. I'm calculating a risk and pinching a penny. I usually look a little harder for a good deal than a lot of folks. I don't kid myself into thinking this is always a good thing ;)

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
Also many times the Buick ones are 2 volume sets in a hardcover binder. At least that's the way my 85 Buick manual is.

That makes sense too. At this point I just need the info and am not really looking for a collector piece. But I can see how that would have a little more value (and the T-type info would certainly command a following and increased value as well).

I scored a 1983 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual off eBay for $10.13 (shipped). When it gets here some day...I hope to find it very useful, lol.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If that doesn't pan out, let me know and I'll look for your diesel info in the Chevrolet/Caballero manual...I believe the diesels were offered in Malibu and Camino in '83, and I know there are different ones for different engines in the book.

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
If that doesn't pan out, let me know and I'll look for your diesel info in the Chevrolet/Caballero manual...I believe the diesels were offered in Malibu and Camino in '83, and I know there are different ones for different engines in the book.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I've put a carbureted small block in my wagon. It's going to be super easy to wire up but I really want to figure out my C100 Bulkhead connector and it seems prudent to spend some time with a wiring diagram to understand what I will keep and use and what I won't. Since I got the car without the original engine...I'm playing detective figuring out what all the old wiring is for.

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
The ol' General didn't vary the color code that much. The diesel factor might account for 5%, being generous. The maliburacing.com diagrams will get the other 95%
I can recite most of the ones you're referring to (on Maliburacing) from memory by now, lol. I am most certainly looking for info from whatever portion they don't have ;).

My project has a bit of a mystery factor being a diesel.

I never knew much about the diesel/olds cars...but this car had (seems to be long gone) an ECM in it. I did not realize the diesel cars would have had that...but now I think *maybe* they did. I say maybe because I don't know about this history of this car. VIN decodes as a diesel. Story was that someone pulled out the diesel to put a gas engine in. I got it with an olds 307 sitting in the engine bay but not much connected. I think the project got stalled during the gas conversion and it sat for many years. When the scrapper found it, he sold it to me because he (fortunately) could tell it was too nice to scrap.

Last edited:

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
Update for posterity: The 1983 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual does NOT have wiring diagrams. It has a listing in the index that implies that they are in the "Electrical Troubleshooting Manual." So, I have a 1983 Oldsmobile Electrical Troubleshooting Manual on the way.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Update for posterity: The 1983 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual does NOT have wiring diagrams. It has a listing in the index that implies that they are in the "Electrical Troubleshooting Manual." So, I have a 1983 Oldsmobile Electrical Troubleshooting Manual on the way.
Refer back to post #6 in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor