What Muffler to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Ok, I got the go ahead from the Boss ( Wife) to get some new mufflers as a B-Day present 😀 ........I have the summit mufflers on my car now..............I was thinking of the Flow Master Super 44's.............What are you guys/gals running???

I'm running the flowmaster 40's and couldn't be happier. I've heard the flowmaster 44's and they really don't sound like they restrict the exhaust at all and I've had a few friends pulled over because the police officer questioned their exhaust system. Two of them have actually received tickets for too much noise.

patmckinneyracing said:
I'm running the flowmaster 40's and couldn't be happier. I've heard the flowmaster 44's and they really don't sound like they restrict the exhaust at all and I've had a few friends pulled over because the police officer questioned their exhaust system. Two of them have actually received tickets for too much noise.
so if u want to be real loud get the 44's? lol

Depends on what exhaust pipe your using. If your using 2.25 inch pipe, then go with the super 44's. If you have 2.5 inch pipe, go with the flow 40's. You want to have a little restriction in the exhaust. This will help with low end torque on the street and prevent the risk of a dropped valve. :shock:

patmckinneyracing said:
Depends on what exhaust pipe your using. If your using 2.25 inch pipe, then go with the super 44's. If you have 2.5 inch pipe, go with the flow 40's. You want to have a little restriction in the exhaust. This will help with low end torque on the street and prevent the risk of a dropped valve. :shock:
oo aight so 40's is the way to go

The only thing that leaves me scratching my head is if you google both these mufflers in the image search engine you can actually look at the internal design and structure. I would think that the flowmaster 40 would actually outflow the super 44 but I guess the chamber in the super 44 uses multiple angles and geometry to allow for more flow.

i have 2 thrush welded on my cutlass with 2.5" duals i wanted an x-pipe but the shop had none.
but the thrush welded mufflers are identical to the flow 40's and for the price of one flow you can get both thrush mufflers, so then maybe you can get two gifts instead of one 😀
I have mine with a stock 305 and flowtech afterburners and its pretty quite and deep ill try to post a vid later after i wash it

i have 2 thrush welded on my cutlass with 2.5" duals i wanted an x-pipe but the shop had none.
but the thrush welded mufflers are identical to the flow 40's and for the price of one flow you can get both thrush mufflers, so then maybe you can get two gifts instead of one 😀
I have mine with a stock 305 and flowtech afterburners and its pretty quite and deep ill try to post a vid later after i wash it

I am running with the 40 series on my cutlass and my truck they are about the best sounding ones I have found in my opinion. The truck has 2.5 and the car has 3 and they sound awesome. My only problem with them on the car is ground clerance everytime I take a corner or his a small dip or bump they scrape.

I was looking at my muffler yesterday and noticed a hole in it so I cut if off. The car only has a 260 but it sounds like a hot rod now. I ordered a cheap OEM $40 muffler for it but it won't be here for a week or so. Until then I am going to drive around and be a badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor