What OS Do you Use: Windows, Mac OS, or Linux?

Operating System

• Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mac OS

• Linux

• Other OS

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
mine runs a constant 47% ram when it is just sitting haha

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
Mine uses around 630mb of ram just sitting there with 1270mb free. :)

If you have only like 768mb of Ram you wouldn't like running Vista, 1gb might be alright, but I think 2gb like I have is the best way to go.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
phaZe said:
Mine uses around 630mb of ram just sitting there with 1270mb free. :)

If you have only like 768mb of Ram you wouldn't like running Vista, 1gb might be alright, but I think 2gb like I have is the best way to go.

I havn't had any issues with Vista yet. I'm running it on my desktop and my laptop. I have noticed that it uses a lot more Ram than XP. I don't see the reason why anyone would want to upgrade from XP on an old computer, there isn't enough new features/options to merrit the swap, or the cost. At least to me.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
personally if i were to be getting a new OS i would wait for the OS replacing vista that is coming out next year.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I am NOT one for upgrading to a new OS every time it is handed down from the gods at Microsoft. Honestly, almost any GUI will work just fine for what most people use it for. However, I do try to wait for new OS's to come out before I buy a new machine, and wait a couple months after that too so that other people can do Microsoft's Beta testing, and not me. If you had bought a new machine with Vista and only 512 mb (which would have been fast on a XP machine), you would have been sold a load of crap and a computer too slow to even play a nice game of Pong on. I'll probably have my present laptop until it gets fried or seriously outdated before I buy another. My desktop is a XP machine with 256k and a 1.2 gig processor that still works, but I like the laptop better since it is far more portable and faster. Next time though, I want a smaller screen and a tablet PC. The 17 in laptop is a PITA to carry around and use while driving.

Wake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2008
i use xp and ubuntu linux.

linux boots quite a bit faster than windows, and just a few months ago made great strides forward. big thing was no flash support in browsers but that has been resolved.

a stock install of linux gives you everything you need for internet use. email, yahoo im, bit torrent, flash enabled browsers for youtube and such. picture and video editing. adding new programs generally is painless but when it fails, can be a rea pita to fix.

upside, far less virus danger and malware is essentially nonexistant.

the only reason i still boot windows most of the time is for the graphics. while linux looks decent on my lcd panels, the graphics drivers are not as polished as the windows versions. i have a radeon something or other and while the Omega driver for xp looks awesome the linux driver for ati and nvidia needs a lot of work. text is a tad fuzzy, etc.

if all you do is internet, linux is a good choice. free, lots of support, fast, efficient, and great virus resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor