WHAT SIZE ARE MY '79 GP GAUGES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingcc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2010
minnesota
I want to upgrade my factory gauges in my 1979 Grand Prix. What size are the factory ones? Speedo 4 inch or 5 inch? How about the fuel, volts, temp and oil ones? Thanks G-Body Freeks!

Cant you just measure them?

I could if I had them out. I drive the car often and didn't want to take it apart to measure, then put it back together so I could drive it untill my gauges showed up and then take it back apart. Just figured it would save time and labor, and someone on here most likely has done it already.

I have a couple of gauge sets sitting around and had some time today so I measured them up. They are irregular sized all the way around (ie: not a perfect circle) so I wasn't exactly sure where to measure from. I ended up measuring the inside of the lip, basically the gauge face itself. The speedo and clock/tach measured at 4.5" and the 4 pack gauges measured at 2.5". The set I bought off of another member here had a 5" aftermarket tach mounted in it and it looks good. There's a bit of room in there so I'd say you're safe to go with 5" if you're replacing yours, I would think 4" gauges would leave a gap. I'm by no means an expert though.

Thanks for the info! Those are some helpful tips. Sounds like I have a place to start anyway. Now I just have to pick out a style and make them work!

Hey look.. Another Minnesota guy! And he's got a GP 😀
We're talking about a cruise-in to some hot dog stand or burger joint this summer

-Motor Matt

Motor Matt, I put on a weekly car show every Wed. night from 5:30-8:30 in Isanti, MN. Check out our facebook page Isanti Weekly Car Show. It's a great bunch of guys and gals!

I would like to know more about cruises/car shows in MN. I liked the Isanti weekly car show on Facebook also lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor