what size carb should on my 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
hey guys i was just wondering what size carb would give me the best bang for my buck the engine is a pretty much stock lg4 with all the emissoins control parts removed

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
I ran a 750 cfm vacuum secondary holley on my 305. It worked pretty sweet. I tried a 750 edle brock and it wasnt very sweet. I think though a 650cfm carb would be good.(I would use a holley or a quick fuel if you could get your hands on one) Good throttle response and and still plenty to pull the top end in a smaller cubic inch engine.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If your sticking with a close to stock specs 305, an edelbrock 600 would work just fine. I run a 1406 edelbrock on a street performance 350 and get excellent response and driveability with it. With a 750, that is a little to big for a 305 in almost all aspects. It would be great up top if you plan on running high rpm's, but down low and on the street, it's gonna give a lot of fuel for really no reason.

Think of it this way, my old man runs a 750 demon, identical to holley design, on his 440 mopar big block that makes 678hp and 725lbs. He'll run high 9's all day with that cfm carb. So a 750 is nice if your doing a highly modified small block, but if its stock than a 600 cfm is just fine. I prefer eddies as they are a tune and leave alone deal. Most cases I've heard with holleys require constant tuning, but I've never used one so I can't testify to how true these cases are.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
i wouldnt go 750 on a mostly stock 305. id go with a 650 holley vac secondaries or a edelbrock. but i try to stick to holleys since i know them. and holleys do need to be messed with more often than the edelbrocks. but i usually check the adjustments on mine about every 3 months.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
I agree. Stay atleast in the 6xx cfm range. I also prefer the holleys they due require some tweaking but I just have never liked how the edlebrock carbs meter, or the design really. The reason i put the 750 on my car was because we were drag racin it and it was getting turned 5700rpm and when I switch from the q-jet I picked 3 tenths, and lost about 4 miles to the gallon< but I still had a regal with a 305 that ran 14.3 :)

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
bowtietillidie85SS said:
Stock 305, a 600 would be more then enough. 750 is overkill for that engine. :doh:
x2

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have always had luck with putting a 350 quadrajet on.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Q-Jet will definitely be a good choice here if you have a spreadbore-capable intake... gas mileage will stay up, with aftermarket carbs it will drop, and the performance increase won't be all that great.

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
lol no q jets have had way to many problems :blam: hence why the my old firebird had a 750 on it...... just figured i would get the consensus thx all

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor